ASU baseball’s Zawada looking to stay as designated hitter after hot start

Head coach Tracy Smith may have found a designated hitter.

Sophomore outfielder Sebastian Zawada hits during a game against Xavier at Phoenix Municipal Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016. The Sun Devils won the matchup, 2-1.

After a year of inconsistency with the designated hitter spot, ASU baseball head coach Tracy Smith talked about toying with it throughout spring practice with hopes of eventually solidifying the position during the season.

Through just two weeks, junior Sebastian Zawada is strengthening his case to stick there.

He is second on the team with a .409 batting average and .435 OBP, and already has a pair of doubles, a home run and four RBIs.

Most recently, Zawada went 4-for-10 in a series loss at Long Beach State, but hit a three-run home run in the Friday contest to help propel ASU to a 9-2 win. It was perhaps the signature moment in his five starts thus far.

The junior college transfer said he is still making adjustments to playing at the NCAA level after playing at South Mountain Community College for two years. Last season, he hit .380 with 19 homers and 66 RBIs, earning him First Team All-Conference and First Team All-Region honors.

"Obviously, getting more at-bats has kind of been acclimating me to the next level of play right now," Zawada said. "Little bit of an adjustment from junior college."

Zawada said his ability to adjust has come from his approach and "just going up there, having a plan and looking for something to hit."

The 5-foot-10, 202-pound junior from Tucson also noted his role on the team is simply to hit. He isn't relied on in the field, but wasn't expected to be when he arrived.

Last year, then-junior RJ Ybarra proved a bit inconsistent at the designated hitter slot, forcing Smith to experiment with it. After dealing with an injury at the beginning of the Spring, Ybarra has stepped up to the plate just once.

Smith said freshman Tyler Williams is another option in addition to Zawada because the two have put together the best at-bats consistently in practice.

"Obviously the coaches need to experiment with the (designated hitter position), but I'm here to lock it down," Zawada said.

Following the lone win of the series, the Sun Devils combined for just seven hits between the series' final two games.

"I think there's always a certain amount of pressure, but you just got to leave that behind in the dugout, and just got to go up there and adjust to what the pitcher is going to throw to you," he said. "If he's going to give you something to hit, then get after it whether it's inside or outside."

Smith said there is a comfortability factor involved with succeeding at the designated hitter spot. It is all about a player knowing his role is secure when he arrives at the field, allowing him to better focus on finding a rhythm.

Eventually, he plans to give Zawada that cushion.

"We kind of wanted to take a look at a couple of things this weekend, but I think eventually settle in on him and give him the confidence — because he's earned it — to let him know that he's going to show up to the park and he's going to hit," Smith said.

Pac-12 baseball power rankings: Early-season shakeup

7 ASU alumni to watch at Spring Training

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or on Twitter @justintoscano3.

×