Tempe Police: Man sees running car, decides to get in, gets caught by officers

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe police reported the following incidents Monday:

A Chandler man was arrested March 17 on the 1500 block of East Roosevelt Road on suspicion of theft, according to a police report.

Officers detained the man after tracking the stolen car he had been driving, police reported.

The officer who stopped the man contacted the subject after seeing him driving on the road with the vehicle, according to the report.

Following identification, the man confessed in an interview that he had taken the car without permission and said, “I saw a vehicle and decided to get in,” police reported.

The man also said he did not talk to anyone before entering the car, though he did find its door open with the engine running, according to the report.

The person whose car had been stolen immediately recognized the car, which matched the person’s description, and used a spare key to start it, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A Tempe woman was arrested March 18 on the 1800 block of East Don Carlos Avenue on suspicion of aggravated DUI, according to a police report.

After a car crash between a maroon Nissan and a white Toyota truck, officers approached the woman in the driver’s seat of the Nissan, police reported.

The white Toyota was unoccupied, and had damage to the front passenger side. The maroon Nissan had damage to the entire front end, which caused the car to leak fluid, according to the report.

The officer who approached the Nissan saw that the driver was asleep in her seat with the ignition running, police reported.

He attempted to open the car’s door, but decided to knock on the driver’s window after he realized the door was locked, according to the report.

She attempted to put the car in park, but accidentally put it into drive before actually putting it into park, police reported.

The officer requested that the woman get out of the car, and she appeared to stumble out the door with a scent of alcohol on her clothes, according to the report.

The woman said she was just “leaving a buddy’s house” when she fell asleep, and only remembers heading home before the officer woke her up, police reported.

She also said she did not remember getting into a car crash while asleep, according to the report.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Aimee Plante.

Related links:

Tempe Police: Man breaks into woman's apartment, invites friends over to shower

Tempe Police: Man harasses woman in bar then knocks friend out

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

×