Palacio's two home runs not enough for ASU softball

The Sun Devils lost the series finale to Washington in an offensive showdown.

ASU Softball vs St. Francis
Sashel Palacios, back, and Ciera Schick run to home during the fourth inning, on Feb. 27, 2016, in Tempe, AZ. ASU beat Saint Francis University, 12-9.

After a two hour rain delay, the Sun Devils took on the Washington Huskies in a back and fourth battle before losing 12-9. 

The Sun Devil offense finally found its spark after being unable to find it in the first two games of the series. The team had a total of 11 hits and three home runs, but co-interim head coach Robert Wagner recognized that it wasn't enough to come out with a win.

"We knew we had to make some adjustments," Wagner said. "I thought we did a good job early in the game, but it just wasn't quite enough." 

Washington's freshman pitcher Taran Alvelo was a familiar face for the Sun Devils. The team struggled against Alvelo in Friday's match-up, getting only two hits off of her. However, they were able to take advantage of the familiarity, getting four hits before junior pitcher Casey Stangel came into relief for Washington.

A two out rally in the bottom of the second helped the Sun Devils cut an early deficit. Junior designated player Sashel Palacios was the first to pick up a hit for ASU, hitting a solo homer to get the Sun Devils on the scoreboard.

Junior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales got herself onto first base after being hit by a pitch. Sophomore first baseman Margaret Stahm then got a base hit, advancing Gonzales to third base. A wild pitch sent the ball to the backstop, allowing for Gonzales to score and tie the game back up at two.

Palacios found herself a second home run on the night, helping ASU take the lead 4-2. After only having two hits in the last 12 games, Palacios went 2-for-4 on the night with three RBIs. 

"It was frustrating being in that slump," Palacios said. "But it feels really good to go out like that and just feel the confidence start coming back."

Gonzales also was a big contributor in this game. She doubled in the fourth inning, which drove in two more runs and put the Sun Devils at a 6-2 lead. She also hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to tie the game back up 9-9. 

"We knew we had to start things offensively a little earlier this time," Gonzales said. 

Gonzales' three run jack wasn't enough for the Sun Devils to get the win. 

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsey Kessler made her third appearance in the circle this weekend, as she looked to continue her success after dominating in last night’s game.

Her first four innings were stellar, where she only gave up one hit and two runs. However, throughout the fifth and sixth innings, Kessler gave up five more hits and seven runs. 

Sophomore pitcher Dale Ryndak looked to get the save for the Sun Devils as she entered the circle in the seventh inning. 

The Huskies proved to be the better hitting team tonight. Ryndak gave up three runs off three hits, getting the loss.

The Sun Devils have reached a three game losing streak, but Palacios says the team isn't letting that get in the way. 

"We continue to fight and we don't give up," Palacios said. "Everyone is willing to do what it takes to win the game." 

Reach the reporter at lmbrunet@asu.edu or follow @Leah_brunette on Twitter.

×