#OccupyDNC movement grows in reaction to Bernie Sanders' setbacks

The #OccupyDNC movement sports t-shirts that read "Boston 4 Bernie." Photo courtesy of the group's Facebook page.

As thousands of peaceful protesters are set to infiltrate the Democratic National Convention this July, the #OccupyDNC Facebook group has gained 24,000 members, and it is still growing. 

Laurie Cesnick, the founder of the movement, said the movement has two goals.

“The first goal we have is to swing delegates to vote for Bernie," Cesnick said. "That’s what the people want. We want to pressure superdelegates leading up to the convention, and while they are there. The second goal is democracy.”

The group also has a website dedicated to their cause, and members on the DNC page are using a delegate contact website to contact all known super delegates before the convention. 

Cesnick said the group is fighting an uphill battle against the mainstream media. She declined interviews with Fox news, citing their unpredictability and claims the election would be turned upside down if it were covered fairly.

“Bernie would have won if not for the mainstream media," she said. "Media is part of the fraudulent course.” 

Other groups such as “Bernie BNB,” which is a house sharing app for Bernie supporters, rally the same cause and provide similar services.

Cesnick said the site “fills up too fast” and will rely on camping for the main protester lodging.  

Philadelphia has issued several permits to protest. One such permit was issued to the “March for Bernie," which plans to gather upwards of 30,000 participants, according to NBC 10 Philadelphia. The city permits the rally to occur July 24 through July 28.  

Cesnick said voter suppression is a key issue inspiring the #OccupyDNC movement.

“There is mass voter suppression and fraud," she said. "We are going down there for the people, especially in Arizona. We want peoples voices to be heard.” 

Once events begin, Cesnick said the protests with be peaceful and legal.

“We don’t want to give them an excuse to arrest us," she said. "Even if we march in one place for an hour, we could make the ground shake. The more we come together, the more power we have.” 

The #OccupyDNC movement has a grand finale in store at the conclusion of the convention.

“At the end of the voting, if our candidate is not selected, we will leave the Democratic Party. All of us, together on the 28.”

Phoenix resident and Bernie supporter Maninko Archer will be one of the thousands to join Cesnick in Philadelphia this July to protest. Her goals for #OccupyDNC are similar to that of the founders. 

“I want to see Bernie Sanders as president," Archer said. "My goal is just to support Bernie and the fellow Berners. We are like a family. It’s amazing how he has truly brought the country together. I want to fight for out resources and safety as well.”  

Archer and other supporters agree with Bernie on many key issues, including single payer healthcare, fracking regulation, climate change, immigration reform, animal rights, removing power from the central banks, and more.

This movement comes at the end of a tumultuous campaign that has divided the Democratic Party.  

Debbie Wasserman Shultz, the controversial chair of the Democratic National Committee, reached out to voters to try and quell their distrust and unease by announcing party platform hearing in several places around the country by issuing a statement in early May.

"I want all Democrats to have their voices heard in this process," she said in the statement. "We are the Party of substance, ideas and diversity. We expanded the platform process to provide greater opportunity for Democrats to express their views and we look forward to hearing different perspectives from across the nation."

One such hearing will take place on June 17 and 18 in Phoenix. The time and location is still to be announced. The hearing will involve testimony from policy professionals, as well as the general public. 

ASU students, and other members of the public will have the opportunity to speak to a 15-person committee during these hearings. Those interested can find more information, and submit testimony here.

The State Press will bring continued coverage of the DNC, and the #OccupyDNC movement through the Convention in July.  

Reach the reporter at isaac.windes@asu.edu or follow @isaacwindeschef on Twitter.

×