Todd Graham, ASU football ready for amped up challenge from Texas Tech

The Sun Devils begin preparations for Kliff Klingsbury's version of the air-raid offense

ASU head coach Todd Graham reacts after a play during the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2016, at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Entering week two against Texas Tech, ASU football head coach Todd Graham appeared frustrated by some of the scrutiny that had already been leveled against his team, that despite a shaky start, beat NAU in its season opener 44-13.

“I’m pleased with where we’re at,” Graham said. “Do we have a lot of work to do? Yes. But I feel really good about where we’re at.”

Graham suggested Colorado, like his Sun Devils, could both outperform expectations, and said that preseason rankings are inconsequential.

“I’m just pleased with our guys being 1-0 heading into Week 2,” Graham said. “I think NAU did a great job, and you’ll see those guys win a lot of games.”

Regarding the play of redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins, Graham simply said he would like to see “one more win." 

Graham also said he talked to Wilkins about Taylor Kelly's and Mike Bercovici's first games, and that the first-year starter is eager to improve on his mistakes. 

The Sun Devils should be no strangers to Texas Tech's high-flying offense. Former TTU head coach Mike Leach brought his system to the Pac-12, where Washington State quarterback Luke Falk has earned national recognition.

“We’re very familiar, we’ve competed against this system before,” Graham said. “I’d say that Texas Tech is very similar to Washington State. It’s an air-raid system, they’re very well-coached.”

Graham called Texas Tech's version of the air-raid offense under head coach Kliff Klingsbury a "traditional" rendition of the popular scheme. 

The last time ASU played Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl, the special teams struggled in a way that seems strange to recall given Shawn Slocum’s success as coordinator of the unit.

“We did a lot of good things,” Graham said. “He’s (Slocum) a great teacher, and it helps activate our players. As our guys leave, and come back, that’s one of the things they’ve said that you need to make the team (in the NFL).”

Graham highlighted the effort of senior wide receiver Tim White, who led the Sun Devils with 195 all-purpose yards against NAU, including a kickoff return of 43 yards.

“He doesn’t say a word,” Graham said. “He leads by example, in everything he does.”

Looking ahead to next week, Graham said, “I sure hope so” when asked if junior linebacker Christian Sam would be ready to play after suffering an ankle injury last week.

Reviewing the targeting call that resulted in junior linebacker Marcus Ball being suspended for the first half of the Texas Tech game, Graham was relatively neutral in his assessment of the play.

“I have no problem with it,” Graham said. “They’re trying to protect the players, and if there’s any doubt in your mind – it should be on the side of safety.”

Reach the reporter at smodrich@asu.edu or follow @StefanJModrich on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×