Hillary Clinton talks equality, economy and ending Trump's momentum at ASU

With the state in contention, the Democratic presidential nominee hopes to secure the Millennial vote

Hillary Clinton takes the stage during a rally at the intramural fields on the ASU Tempe campus on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016.

Thousands poured into the intramural field outside ASU's Tempe Sun Devil Fitness Complex on Wednesday as Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton encouraged her supporters to save minorities, the environment and the economy from a potential presidency under her opponent.

Arizona — a state some believe could go blue for the first time since 1996 — witnessed Clinton's arrival fresh off a burst of previous stumps and rallies from both sides of the political aisle. Chelsea Clinton, Donald Trump Jr., Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, Mike Pence and Donald Trump have all visited the state in the past month.

According to Real Clear Politics, Trump — who was previously behind Clinton by less than a point on the day of his rally in Phoenix — is now 3 percentage points ahead of Clinton in Arizona polls. RCP currently has Trump at 46.5 points and Clinton at 43.5.

Clinton's drop in the polls has been accompanied by the FBI's discovery of possibly sensitive emails.

Brother Dean, who was recently arrested at the University of Arizona for assaulting a student, protested while wearing a Blue Lives Matter T-shirt outside the rally site. Some attendees were compelled to voice their opinions to him, though many remained unbothered.

Rally attendee Beth Brizel, 53, interjected the conflict by telling other attendees that voting, not arguing, is what really matters.

“There’s no reason to engage,” she said. "They’re going to say what they’re going to say. You vote, and that’s all you need to do.”

The event included a special appearance from DJ Cassidy, who told the audience that he intended to turn the rally into a party, proceeded to blare music and encouraged the audience to dance prior to Hillary’s speech.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton was the first to speak on behalf of Clinton. He told the audience they have the power to change the world and turn the battleground state blue.

Stanton also said Donald Trump is the wrong candidate for the country because he has worked off of insulting minorities.

"This is the most critical election that we're ever going to vote in," he said. "We can't relax. We have to get out the vote ... our progress, our future, our democracy — that is what is at stake this Tuesday."

The crowd began chanting Hillary's name shortly after Stanton's address. 

National Education Association President Lily Eskelsen Garcia spoke shortly after and said that, from an educator's eyes, the "Trump effect" has caused people — children, especially — to become more mean to each other.

"All I see in this campaign, I see through the eyes of an educator," she said. "Our children are watching one candidate, who's dignified, who's intelligent, who's prepared, who does her homework ... and they're watching another candidate, who's reckless, who's erratic, who's mocking and the dog ate his homework."

U.S. Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Arizona, told voters they have the chance to actually turn the state blue because of the work they've put in making it a battleground state thus far. 

"Right now, we're the most competitive state in the country," he said. "We're turning this election over to you now. Every democrat ... every citizen in this country is counting on you."   

Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick then came out together to stump for Clinton and for Kirkpatrick's own senatorial candidacy.

"Now more than ever, we need leaders who are principled, that can work across the aisle and get things done," Kirkpatrick said. "It's time for new, principled leadership in Arizona."

Giffords suffered an assassination attempt in 2011, which has impacted her ability to speak. 

"Speaking is (difficult) for me," she said. "But in January, I want to say these two words: Madam President."

In the intermission following the joint address from Giffords and Kirkpatrick, the field continued to fill up with attendees from a line of seemingly unchanging length.

Pueblo Magnet High School Teacher Gary Crane, accompanied by Ana Rodriguez and Rafael Lopez, parents of fallen U.S. Army Pvt. Damián López-Rodriguez, spoke to introduce Clinton and said she is the candidate who truly cares about minorities and "dreamers."

Clinton, who walked out soon after, began her address by collectively thanking the previous speakers for their speeches and efforts made in support of her campaign.

Clinton said she wanted the audience to try a thought exercise in which they would imagine a world where Trump is president.

"Imagine that it's Jan. 20, 2017," she said. "And imagine it is Donald Trump standing in front of the cameras ... imagine having a president who demeans women, mocks the disabled, insults Latinos, African-Americans, Muslims, POWs, who pits people against each other, instead of pulling us together."

Her "thought exercise" was followed by many boos from the audience against the idea of a Trump presidency. 

Clinton said Trump's immigration plan is faulty and inhumane because of enabling from Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was recently charged with criminal contempt for refusing to reform his racial-profiling practices.

"Imagine a president who has promised to have a huge deportation force to drive out millions of immigrants ... knowing that it will tear families apart and will also hurt our economy," she said. "My friends, that does not happen in America, and that will not happen in America. But why would we be surprised ... because his top adviser in immigration is Sheriff Joe Arpaio."

Clinton then asked the audience to imagine having a president who she said ignores the progress of African-Americans.

"Imagine having a president who thinks all the lives of black people are crime and poverty and despair," she said. "He has no idea about the strength of the black church, the vibrancy of black businesses, the excellence of historically black colleges and universities, the success of black leaders in every field."

Clinton also used her speech to reiterate her plans for college debt and said she plans to erase tuition debt for those suffering through it, while simultaneously stimulating a better workforce.

"If you're having a hard time paying for college, we're going to make tuition at public colleges and universities like this one free for millions and millions of families," she said. "If you care about building an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top, then we're going to have the biggest job creation programs since WWII."

Clinton said that, along with job creation, she will strive for implementing a raised minimum wage and equal pay between men and women in the workforce.

"I believe we should raise the national minimum wage," she said. "I don't think we should have barriers and obstacles in the way of the people who are trying to get ahead. Donald Trump doesn't even think we should have a national minimum wage. That's a big difference between him and me."

Clinton said unlike Trump, her plans for the economy are fully thought out and prepared, and she said it's going to work for those across the socioeconomic spectrum.

"I will not raise taxes or sign any effort to raise taxes on anybody making less than $250,000 a year," she said. "So we're going to make the wealthy pay their fair share." 

Finally, Clinton drove home her message of being "stronger together" and said that, unlike Trump's plan to fix everything himself, she plans to solve national issues how the country's framers solved them: With groups of people who have all perspectives of an issue, working together to contribute their skills and visions for America.  

Clinton ended her address by reminding the audience that the nation has never before seen a more massive potential turn-out from Millennials.

"We are on the path to the biggest turnout in history ... That includes more than 50 million young people," she said. "This is one of those make-or-break moments for the United States, and it's in your hands." 

Reach the reporter at angel.n.mendoza@asu.edu or follow @angelnikolas96 on Twitter.

×