Track and field Sun Devils set personal bests at NAU Tune-Up meet

The ASU team traveled to NAU for its final regular season indoor meet before the conference meet

Jess Barreira runs before her leap over the bar during the women’s high jump competition for ASU track and field at the 2016 Baldy Castillo Invitational at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, AZ on Saturday, March 19, 2016.

In their last competition before indoor championship season, ASU track and field traveled up north to partake in the NAU Tune-up meet.

"When we come up here, it's really a chance for people to get additional reps," head coach Greg Kraft said. "We had a number of people who were dinged up and missed training time, so this also helped allow them to get some additional practice."

For redshirt freshman Michael Titherington it was more than just a chance to get additional reps, as he reached a new collegiate personal best in the shot put throwing for 16.58 meters – good enough for second place in the meet.

This throw was about a half a meter short of his indoor personal best from high school where he threw for 17.08 meters, and was a 0.42 meter improvement from his previous best of 16.16 meters which was set at the 2017 Texas A&M Aggie Invitational.

Also on the field, ASU dominated in the women’s long jump with three Sun Devils finishing in the top five.

Junior Shaunie Morrison finished first with a jump of 5.84 meters.

Sophomore Jessica Barriera and senior Keyasia Tibbs finished in third place and fourth place respectively.

Both athletes improved on their season bests with a jump of 5.81 meters for Barriera and 5.80 meters for Tibbs. They also finished second and seventh respectively in the triple jump with a distance of 12.49 meters for Tibbs and 11.75 meters for Barriera.

On the track, freshman Alexis Nichols and senior Adriana Olivas both finished in the top three for the women’s mile.

Nichols finished second with a time of 5:17.18 and Olivas finished right behind her in third place with a time of 5:20.80.

In the 200-meter race sophomore Brandon Hasson ran a new collegiate best of 21.53 seconds to claim second place.

Next week the Sun Devils will fly to Seattle and compete in the MPSF Championships on Friday Feb. 24 and Saturday Feb. 25.  

Reach the reporter at jzaklis@gmail.com and follow @JoshZaklis on Twitter.

×