First Friday art exhibit allows Barrett students to show off their creative side

Barrett will be hosting an art exhibit at Monorchid to display student artwork during First Friday in April

Journalism sophomore, Lerman Montoya, poses with his art work at the Barrett Art Exhibit on April 1, 2016. 

Barrett, the Honors College is giving students the opportunity to put down the books and bring out their artsy side. 

On April 7, Barrett will be hosting an art exhibit for students to show off their artistic abilities at First Friday, an art walk that takes place monthly in Downtown Phoenix.

This year the Barrett Art Exhibit will take place in MonOrchid, the building that is known for being ASU’s first working office when the Downtown Phoenix area was developing.

“For Barrett, it is just an opportunity to engage with the community and show a more artsy side to Barrett,” Student Success Coordinator Becky Scott said. 

Scott added that any Barrett student can submit their artwork — no matter what major they are, what campus they are on or their level of artistic ability.

Lauren Barnes, a social work sophomore, said that Barrett does not turn down any artwork that is submitted. They will keep accepting them until there is no more room in the exhibit.

“We are not going to be like, you have to be like Picasso,” Barnes said. “If you feel like you like what you have made, and you want other people to see it, this is an opportunity to do so.” 

Barnes said she believes the Barrett Art Exhibit was created because people realized that the college is normally viewed as solely academic and not artistic, and that there is not a lot of space for other talents in the arts to be showcased.

“Barrett realizes that a student has to be well-rounded, and allowing us to engage in more creative ways, like drawing, painting and photographing things, shows that we take pride in other aspects in a student,” Barnes said. "Allowing us to dive into our creative sides leads to more interesting academic conversations.”

Sophomore journalism student Angelica Cabral said events such as the art exhibit are important because it steers away from the usual aspects of college that are always emphasized, such as sports and academics.

“For a lot of people, it is more of a hobby, so they are never really going to get their art shown but this is a cool opportunity to get it shown,” said Cabral.

Any form of art can be submitted, such as drawings, paintings, sculptures and photography.

In order to take part in the art show, projects need to be submitted online by this Friday. 

Barrett will reach out to the students who are selected to be a part of the exhibit. Once selected, the deadline to turn in physical pieces of artwork to any of the four Barrett offices will be March 29.

Editor's note: journalism major Angelica Cabral previously worked for The State Press as a reporter. She no longer works for the publication.

Reach the reporter at editomass@asu.edu or follow @emily_ditomasso on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×