For women's water polo, chemistry is the driving force of a successful first half of the season

The Sun Devils are heading into their most difficult competition and will need cohesiveness to stay afloat

Freshman Maud Koopman passes against the University of Pacific on Sunday, March 20, 2016 at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe, AZ. ASU water polo won 5-3.

At the midway point in the season, the ASU women’s water polo team is sitting high in the rankings.

ASU (17-4) began the season as the No. 5 team in the nation and have only slightly fluctuated in its ranking since beginning the season. The Sun Devils have remained at No. 6 for the majority of the season, dropping only once to No. 7 briefly in early March. 

Thus far, the Sun Devils have kept their reputation as a top-notch program. Junior attacker Lena Mihailovic is currently leading the team with 43 goals, while junior center Alkistis Benekou just reached the top-10 all-time scoring list for ASU water polo.

The Sun Devils have also put together 13 top-25 victories, falling only to four of the nation's best teams in USC, Stanford, Cal and Michigan. 

Head coach Todd Clapper said the team is finding their own rhythm and are changing their practicing styles.

“I think we're hoping that we can get ourselves sorted out,” Clapper said. “We're starting to practice more towards how our opponents are playing rather than what we need to do.”

Practice is the key for ASU to continue its success, however, the chemistry built outside of the water is equally important to creating a cohesive team.

That chemistry is already noticeable across the roster. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, but each player builds off one another.

“We have such great chemistry and we've started becoming tougher,” Benekou said.

In the coming weeks, the Sun Devils must ensure that their chemistry continues to translate in the water.

“We have some important games coming up against Cal and others,” Benekou said. “I think it's going to be that defining moment to decide whether or not we make it to NCAAs.”

ASU will face three top-four opponents back to back with Cal March 25, USC April 1 and UCLA on April 8. 

The coming weeks will undoubtedly be the most difficult for the Sun Devils, but Benekou said she is confident in the program.

“I think we're going to be ready at the perfect time,” Benekou said.

Junior goalkeeper Mia Rycraw set goals for the team early in the season and not much has changed. 

“Our goal is to win the NCAA Championship this season, and in conjunction with that, we are working on much smaller goals every day,” Rycraw said. “Our team already has such great chemistry, but I want this season's teamwork to go even further than last season's.”

The No. 6 Sun Devils will head out to California this Saturday, where they will take on No. 4 Cal at 1 p.m.

Reach the reporter at klbroder@asu.edu or follow @KellyB1459 on Twitter.

×