ASU women's soccer prevails against FGCU in nailbiter

Angela Boyle scored her first career goal for ASU to help the Sun Devils win game against Florida Gulf Coast

35568_101516001672_orcutto.jpg

ASU junior forward Madison Kmetko (4) goes for a header off a corner during the first half of a 2-0 loss to the USC Trojans at the Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016.

The ASU soccer team defeated Florida Gulf Coast University 2-1 in the final game of the University of Arizona Tournament in Tucson. 

The Sun Devils (2-3-1) looked to rebound after a heart-breaking loss to Texas Tech in the 88th minute just two days prior. ASU did just that as they out shot the Eagles 12-8, with nine coming in the second half. 

However, FGCU came out firing on all cylinders in the first half, testing ASU freshman goalkeeper Nikki Panas on multiple occasions in the opening minutes of the match. 

Panas ended the game with three total saves, and was active coming off of her line to grab any balls played behind the ASU back four.

FGCU started off the match as the obvious aggressor with five of their eight shots coming in the first half.

Yet this match up was a tale of two halves, as the Sun Devils settled into the match by imposing their possession-style of play on the Eagles.

The first goal of the match came just 11 minutes into the second half in the 56th minute of play. ASU junior defender Jemma Purfield put the Sun Devils ahead after running onto a perfectly weighted pass over the top from ASU junior Jessica Raybe. 

Purfield found herself 1v1 with FGCU keeper and calmly placed the ball into the side net. 

The Sun Devils kept the pressure on the Eagles and scored their second goal off a corner kick in the 64th minute. 

ASU junior transfer defender Angela Boyle scored her first carer goal as a Sun Devil. FGCU sophomore keeper Melissa Weck cleared the corner with a punch only as far as Boyle, who collected the loose ball from eight-yards out and smashed it into the back of the net.

Despite the two-goal advantage for ASU, the Eagles did not go away quietly - FGSU pulled a goal back in the 74th minute. FGCU freshman midfielder Cassidy Morgan scored her first collegiate goal off of an Eagles corner kick where Panas misplayed the cross, resulting in Morgan heading the ball into an open net.

The Sun Devils will look to take this momentum back home for their next match on Sept. 15 against University of Hawaii at Mānoa in Tempe at 7:00 p.m. MST.

Correction: Due to a statistics sheet error, a player was misidentified with having assisted in the goal at the 56th minute. 

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×