ASU women's soccer struggle on the road with loss to Colorado

ASU's losing streak continues

CJ_09222017-9.jpg
ASU sophomore forward/midfielder Christina Edwards (2) moves the ball upfield in a game against Oregon State on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017 at the Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU women's soccer (4-9-2, 1-5-1 Pac-12) continues to struggle in its road trip, losing 3-0 to the University of Colorado Boulder (8-5-3, 2-4-1 Pac-12) and extending their losing streak to five games. 

Colorado freshman forward Marty Puketapu found the back of the net twice and junior midfielder Megan Massey added one of her own, putting the game out reach for ASU just over a half-hour into play. 

Sophomore midfielder Taylor Kornieck pulled the strings for Colorado's midfield and tallied two assists.

Much like ASU, the Buffaloes have struggled in Pac-12 play with their only other win being against Washington State back in the second week of conference play.

ASU freshman keeper Nikki Panas returned to the starting lineup after missing the last couple of matches. 

Panas made seven saves on the day, while Colorado's redshirt sophomore keeper Jalen Tompkins and junior keeper Scout Watson had a combined six saves on the day. 

Despite what the final score might say, the Buffs and Sun Devils had 18 shots apiece. 

The Sun Devils came out on the front foot and were dominating in possession throughout the entire match, however, they were unable to find a goal despite numerous attempts on frame. 

ASU was unable to keep the Buffs from finding the back of the net the few times they had long spells of possession. 

This has been a recurring problem. The Sun Devils have struggled especially in one-on-one isolation plays away from home and have conceded six goals on this road trip alone.

Puketapu contributed to this number, scoring in the fifth minute of play off a deflected shot, merely four yards away from goal.

Colorado doubled their lead just nine minutes later when Massey scored her second goal of the season off a Kornieck assist.

Puketapu secured the game in the 31st minute of play when Kornieck whipped in a pinpoint cross to Puketapu, which only required one touch to put it in the back of the net.

Sun Devils will end their three-game road trip Oct. 22 in Salt Lake City to take on the Utah Utes at 1 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporter at jaramo12@asu.edu or follow @hor_hay10 on Twitter.  

×