A guide to being single on Valentine’s Day

Students don't need to be in a relationship to have fun on Feb. 14

brokenValentines.jpg

"Valentine's Day can be fun for singles too." Illustration published on Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018.

As a holiday widely associated with love, relationships and romantic gestures, Valentine’s Day can be an isolating experience for those who don’t have a significant other to share the day with, but it doesn’t have to be. There are many options for singles and friends who want to celebrate.

“Treat yo self” (or your friend)

Students can have a great holiday and get or give gifts with or without having a significant other. Singles can treat themselves, a friend or family member to flowers for under $10 at Trader Joe’s or celebrate with Starbucks' new Valentine’s Day line of cherry mocha drinks.

Taking a friend out on a quote-unquote date is also a great option for single friends who want to take advantage of couples' deals on Valentine’s Day or share in the going-out experience. 

Things to do

For lovers of art and "one of the worst films ever made,” the Phoenix Art Museum is holding an event called Lovers/Skeptics which includes free admission to the museum, a film screening of “The Room” presented by FilmBar, a photo booth and other events for couples, friends and singles.

FilmBar in Phoenix will continue their annual Valentine’s Day tradition of showing “The Princess Bride," as well as a sing-a-long style screening of the musical “Grease." The evening concludes with a showing of “The Disaster Artist,” the recent Franco brothers’ movie about the making of “The Room.”

The Japanese Friendship Garden in Phoenix will be open for extended hours, and for those looking for a date, bars around the Valley will be having speed dating and meeting events for singles.

Additionally, ASU is hosting multiple events on Feb. 14. Global Launch is hosting a Valentine’s Day Pizza Party in the Computing Commons with treats and games for students to celebrate. 

Those who want nothing to do with the holiday can check out a NASA Space Grant Poster Session in ISTB4 or see exhibits such as “Joseph Bates: Dad Joke...,” “Bajo Presión/Under Pressure” and “A Dream on a Dream" at the ASU Art Museum and its satellite locations. 

Have a Friends/Galentine’s Day Party

“It’s only the best day of the year!”

Although, according to the show "Parks and Recreation," Galentine’s Day is meant to be celebrated on Feb. 13, the concept is the same: single friends getting together and celebrating their singleness. 

Friends can get together for an alternative Valentine’s Day party to protest the day or celebrate their relationship status, or lack thereof. Whatever the sentiment, single friends can enjoy a night full of movies, games and pizza — heart-shaped or otherwise.

Singles who aren’t a fan of the holiday can instead celebrate Arizona’s 106th birthday, which falls on Valentine's Day. Arizona is known for its beautiful sunrises and sunsets every day of the year, and locals can celebrate with cacti-themed decorations and desserts.

And for singles over 21, The State Press has some drink suggestions as well — so long as everyone celebrates, or commiserates, responsibly:

Reach the reporter at abpotter@asu.edu and follow @lexipotter04 on Twitter. 

×