ASU commits to being the largest fair trade-designated university in the U.S.

Fair trade products will be available throughout all ASU campuses in stores and dining halls

Kany Keita.jpg

A barista at Fair Trade Cafe, Kany Keita, poses for a photo inside the cafe in Phoenix, Arizona, on Wednesday, March 28, 2018. 

ASU has announced its commitment to be the largest fair trade-designated university in the U.S. in partnership with campus suppliers Aramark and Follett.

Fair trade products will be available on campus in dining halls, catered events and retail stores across ASU, according to a statement released by ASU President Michael Crow via email.

“Arizona State University takes pride in our commitment to assume fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities we serve,” Crow wrote in the email. “Part of that commitment includes embedding sustainability practices into all operations at ASU.”

In addition, at least two fair trade food options will be available at all ASU dining halls and vendors on campus must provide education and signage about fair trade-certified products.

Read more: Fighting for fair trade

Multiple fair trade and sustainability efforts have been spearheaded by ASU students, including Daniella Simari, biological sciences junior, and Hannah Trigg, a current Aramark intern and graduate student studying sustainability.

Simari and Trigg, alongside fellow ASU students Mackenzie Masel, a health sciences junior, and Sydney Williamson, a Japanese and sustainability student, founded the ASU Fair Trade Campaign in order to educate the community and facilitate engagement within the Sun Devil community. 

In an interview with The State Press Magazine, Trigg said student engagement and increased ethical fair trade options are goals the group advocates for. 

“Many students are conscious consumers that appreciate the opportunity to purchase, say, a chocolate bar in which the farmers received fair wages, the environment was protected during the process, and there was no child labor involved,” Trigg said. “It is a win-win for both the producer and the customer.”

SPM reporter Sam Riedel contributed to the reporting of this article. 

Reach the reporter at Kimberly.Rapanut@asu and follow @kimrapanut on Twitter.

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×