Letter from the editors: 'Whom We Include'

ASU prides itself on inclusivity in its charter, the 'Whom We Include' project aims to take a deeper look

WhomWeInclude_Header
Photo illustration published on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.

There are more than 100,000 students enrolled at ASU — all with different backgrounds, experiences and ideas. 

The student body, online and on ASU's campuses, is made up of a diverse, changing and growing audience that The State Press aspires to serve, provoke and challenge through our reporting.

The "Whom We Include" project is inspired by the University charter, which says: “ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed."

This spring 2018 semester, The State Press sought to cover parts of the ASU community that have been underrepresented in our reporting. As the student voice of this University, we focused our reporting on stories that would reach into the communities that had been left untouched or undiscussed.

We produced a photo story profiling three international students as they pursue their educations at ASU. We partnered with ProPublica on the "Documenting Hate" project to to document and tell the stories of incidents of bias, discrimination and hate. 

This series highlights a new chapter of reporting dedicated to better covering the things you care about. The stories featured in the "Whom We Include" series are only the beginning. Do you have a tip for us? Is there something we're missing? Let us know. 

The State Press mission: We are a bold, risk-taking, digital student media organization intent on ethically serving, provoking and challenging a large and changing University audience.

Have a tip or think there's something we need to add to our coverage? We want to know. You can submit secure tips here.

If you are have questions about the process leading up to the publishing the project or the project itself, please contact:

Executive Editor Sydney Maki — execed.statepress@gmail.com

Editor-in-Chief Allie Bice — editor.statepress@gmail.com

Multimedia Director Courtney Beesch — multimedia.statepress@gmail.com

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×