The Forks Estate Special Edition: Save Student Newsrooms

Morgan Willis speaks with State Press Advisor Tom Blodgett about the importance of student newsrooms

Forks Estate Special

Illustration published on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018.

Wednesday, April 25 is Save Student Newsrooms Day, which is meant to raise awareness for the importance of student media around the country.  

As a result of its financial situation, it was announced that the independent SMU Daily Campus newspaper would be shutting down. It will still survive in the form of an online edition, but will be overseen by the university’s journalism department. This raises major concerns about their loss of editorial independence.  

It is imperative that we support student journalism and editorial independence at our university. Without them, we may be left in the dark about the decisions being made at our university, and thus not have a voice on our campus.

Check out recent episodes: 

A look at what went into the making of the documentary 'Seeking Asylum'

Forks Estate: A conversation about the March for Our Lives demonstration in Phoenix

News Update: Student government elections, new lab tech and the ASU football offseason

Reach the podcast editor at mbwillis@asu.edu or follow @Morganwillis37 on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×