Judge dismisses lawsuit alleging unconstitutionally high Arizona tuition

Attorney General Mark Brnovich sued the ABOR over tuition hikes and in-state tuition for DACA students

Breaking_ABOR Lawsuit
ASU's President Crow presents his ideas on future tuition during the ABOR Conference in Tempe, Arizona, on Tuesday, March 27, 2018.

An Arizona judge has dismissed a lawsuit over tuition costs to attend Arizona’s public universities, which was filed by Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich against the Arizona Board of Regents last September. 

In the lawsuit, Brnovich said the Regents had raised tuition  “dramatically and unconstitutionally high” and that granting in-state tuition to DACA students was unlawful. 

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Connie Contes granted ABOR’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit on April 20, according to court records filed this morning. 

Read more: Arizona Attorney General lawsuit against ABOR persists

Brnovich said his suit was based upon Arizona’s constitutional requirement that college “should be as nearly free as possible."

“I think providing oneself or their children the opportunity to earn that degree is a critical part of the American Dream,” Brnovich said to The State Press on March 26. “To me, getting jacked up with $50,000 to $60,000 in student debt doesn’t mean that your education is nearly as free as possible.”

A similar suit brought by former state legislator John Kromko in 2007 was also dismissed. 

Reach the reporters at maarmst7@asu.edu and Emmillma@asu.edu or follow @MiaAArmstrong  and @MillmanEthan on Twitter.

×