The ASU men's and women's tennis teams end their seasons on a high note

The men's and women's tennis seasons officially drew to a close in North Carolina

Ilze Hattingh Competes

ASU sophomore Ilze Hattingh competes in a match against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas at the Whiteman Tennis Center at Tempe, Arizona on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018. 

Women's Tennis

All good things must come to an end at some point, and for the ASU women's tennis duo of freshman Lauryn John-Baptiste and sophomore Ilze Hattingh, that point came when they lost 6-3, 6-4 against LSU in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Women's Tennis Doubles Championships in Winston-Salem, North Carolina on Saturday.

On the upside, both John-Baptiste and Hattingh were honored with All-American honors for the first time since the Sun Devils honored former players Desirae Krawczyk, Ebony Panoho and Alexandra Osborne during the 2016 season. 

Saturday's match wasn't all smooth sailing for the two pairings as two rain delays — one before the first serve of the match, and another during the match — proved to be the real showstopper. 

Despite the rain, ASU managed to take a 2-1 lead before succumbing to a 6-3 first set defeat as the match moved indoors.

LSU took the second set 6-4, and that eventually put a cap on the Sun Devils 2017-18 campaign.

Hattingh, a native of South Africa, and John-Baptiste, a native of the United Kingdom, recorded a 19-3 record this season.

The final two teams remaining in the NCAA Tennis Championships are LSU and Oklahoma State, with the Championship game at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex on May 28. 

Men's Tennis

ASU senior Michael Geerts was the one and only one men's player who advanced to the NCAA Championships, and he suffered a 6-2, 4-6, 2-6 defeat against Ohio State senior Mikael Torpegaard in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Singles Championships on Wednesday.

After Geerts took a quick 2-1 lead, he went on to take a 6-2 first set win. However, Torpregaard would respond with two set wins after a rain delay that somewhat dampened the match, and the 2017-18 men's tennis season came to a complete close.

Although Geerts was eliminated in the first round, he didn't give up easily to Torpegaard, who has showcased an astounding resume.

Torpegaard was a 2017 runner-up in the singles championship, and a three-time All-American at Ohio State.

The final game of the men's singles championship will be a battle between Wake Forest University's own Petros Chrysochos and Borna Gojo on Monday at 1:30 p.m. ET.

Reach the reporter at Edith.Noriega@asu.edu or follow @Noriega_Edith on Twitter. 

×