ASU Volleyball wins their first two matches in the Sparky Classic

The Sun Devils took down NAU and Gonzaga on day one of the Sparky Classic

Imani Randle

ASU junior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic (21) and senior middle blocker Carmen Unzue (5) blocks the ball in a game versus NAU at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, September 14, 2018.

The ASU volleyball team went 2-0 on the first day of its annual Sparky Classic. Friday morning, the team beat Northern Arizona University 3-1, and then they went on to defeat Gonzaga University 3-1 in a night cap. 

Against Gonzaga, the Sun Devils took the first two sets with ease, but then the Bulldogs fought back and won set three.

“The rhythm of the game was so weird,” head coach Sanja Tomasevic said. “(The) first two sets, they didn’t show up at all. They (Gonzaga) gave us so many points. We didn’t have to do anything to get those points. Then they go into game three, and now we have to earn these points.” 

Tomasevic told the team that they needed to go back on the court and work for their points in set four. 

“We need to start playing our volleyball because they stopped making errors,” junior outside hitter Ivana Jeremic said. “We were surprised. She (Tomasevic) just said they are going to put the ball in. We need to extend the rallies and be smart.”

The Sun Devils proceeded to go into set four with a new mindset, and they took the final set 25-14 to ultimately win the match.

“I want it that way,” Tomasevic said. “I want us to earn our points because when we get to the Pac, we are not going to get those. We are going to have earn it. Nobody is going to give us 40 points in the Pac-12.” 

ASU sophomore middle blocker Megan Beedie finished the game against the Zags with another successful night as she had a .474 hitting percentage. She had 11 kills on 19 attempts. 

“(I) really connected with Shelbie (Dobmeier) today,” Beedie said. “I think I was more mindful of my approach and where I was on the court ... The vibe on the court was really nice and easy.”

Jeremic also had a successful night. She had a total of 12 kills and 17 digs, reaching her sixth double-double of the season, which is the most in the Pac-12. 

As for the NAU game in the morning, the Sun Devils made quick work of the Lumberjacks, and Jeremic and sophomore outside hitter Claire Kovensky combined for 34 kills in the match.

ASU volleyball has one more contest in the Sparky Classic. The match will take place tomorrow night at 7 p.m. against Texas State at Wells Fargo Arena.

Reach the reporter at skbrisen@asu.edu or follow @sophiabriseno on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×