Race for Arizona's Governor

All three are ASU alumni but have different plans for the state

The race for Arizona's governor is between ASU professor David Garcia, incumbent Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and Green Party candidate Angel Torres.

The three sparred on topics of education, immigration and the economy in a televised debate on Sept. 24.

Republican Gov. Doug Ducey

Gov. Doug Ducey poses for a photo.

Ducey is the Republican incumbent in the 2018 midterm gubernatorial election. He has served as Arizona's governor since 2015. 

Ducey touts a history of pro-business and job-friendly politics that he said has set Arizona's economy on the right track, according to his website. 

Ducey graduated from ASU in 1986 and was later known for leading the ice cream chain Cold Stone Creamery as its CEO until the company was sold in 2007.

Ducey was also elected as treasurer in 2010. 

Education: Ducey supports more state funding for education without imposing new taxes. 

Amid historic demonstrations for increased teacher salaries and school resources, Ducey announced a 20 percent teacher salary increase by 2020 in an April plan.

Read more: Despite the governor's proposal for a raise, aspiring teachers remain skeptical and divided 

Immigration, border security and DACA: Ducey has taken a hard stance on border security. He set up a Border Strike Force Bureau in 2015 for federal and local authorities to better enforce the the Arizona-Mexico border. 

In a September 2017 statement to the Arizona Republic, Ducey called on Congress to solve the issue of immigrants in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program while also emphasizing the need for rule of law. 

He said, "Americans do not punish children for the actions of their parents." 

Healthcare: Ducey believes Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced, and that its replacement must protect those with pre-existing conditions, according to Patrick Ptak, Ducey's communications director.

In 2014, Ducey's wrote on his website that, as governor, he wants to "protect our state from Obamacare, one of the worst laws ever signed by any American president."

As governor, Ducey has worked to lead legislation for treatment access to victims of addiction, according to Ptak. 

David Garcia (Democrat)

ASU associate professor David Garcia poses for a photo. 

David Garcia is an associate professor at ASU's Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

He has worked with education policy and research for most of his career, including with the Arizona Department of Education and Arizona State Legislature.

Garcia also graduated from ASU and went on to earn a master's and doctorate degree from the University of Chicago. 

Education: Garcia said his experience in education will make him a better leader for Arizona's teachers. 

He posted his Plan for Real Investment in Arizona Schools on his website, and has said that Ducey's teacher raise plan doesn't go far enough. 

Garcia calls for reinventing career and technical education, which he said will help Arizona meet a shortage of skilled workers. 

Immigration, border security and DACA: Garcia calls immigrants "an essential cornerstone of Arizona's economy," according to his website. He supports in-state tuition and access to drivers licenses for undocumented immigrants who were brought into America at a young age. 

Garcia said he opposes the "mass deportation policies of Trump, Arpaio and Ducey," and he calls Trump's border wall "foolish."

Healthcare: Garica considers health care "a fundamental right, not a privilege." He said that as Governor he would fight to defend Obamacare. Garcia supports a Medicare for all system. 

Angel Torres (Green Party)

Angel Torres poses for a photo at the Arizona PBS studio in the Walter Cronkite School on Monday, Sept. 24, 2018. 

Angel Torres graduated from ASU in 1986 and worked as an airline industry worker for 31 years. He became heavily involved with union work and has served as a union steward in Phoenix. 

Education: Torres believes teachers deserve a pay raise, and he mentioned that Arizona corporations should pay a "fair share" of taxes. He also supports the #RedforEd movement for Arizona teachers.

Immigration, border security and DACA: In the September gubernatorial debate, Torres said he wants to have better relations and trade agreements with Mexico. He said that improving conditions there may lead to fewer people that want to immigrate to America. 

Healthcare: Torres supports a Medicare-for-all system that gives all citizens affordable access to health services. He also believes in the benefits of naturopathic medicine and alternative therapies. 

Reach the reporter at cscragg@asu.edu or follow @monsoonchaser on Twitter. 

Like State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×