ASU soccer salvages road trip split with 1-0 victory against LSU

The Sun Devil's offense dominated the time of possession in Sunday's game, improving the team to 6-2

_20190901 ASU Women's Soccer vs Weber State 0328.jpg

Weber State midfielder/forward Nixie Hernandez (8) tries to drive around ASU midfielder Isabel Dehakiz (12) in the second half on Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019, at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. ASU defeated Weber State 1-0 in overtime.

The ASU soccer team got back into the win column Sunday afternoon with a 1-0 victory on the road against the LSU Tigers

Similar to their recent matches, ASU got off to a slow start on offense by not capitalizing on any of their goal-scoring opportunities through the early portion of the match.

The Sun Devils finally put the ball in the net when sophomore forward Nicole Douglas scored her team-high seventh goal of the season in the 52nd minute.

Following this victory, the Sun Devils improved to 6-2 on the season and will have one more game before starting Pac-12 play next week.

After a 4-1 loss to UCF, ASU came out with the urgency necessary to secure the road trip split, and despite only scoring one goal on the day, the team dominated several different facets of Sunday’s match.

Its defense responded in a big way Sunday after allowing a season-high four goals against UCF on Thursday.

The Sun Devils put up 16 shots Sunday, with three of them on goal. Meanwhile, the Tigers only managed three shots total with none of them on target. Additionally, ASU’s back line was able to thwart every attack from LSU.

Despite only one goal, ASU's offense was able to dominate the time of possession in the game, which has been their recipe for success this season.

ASU will host California State University, Northridge on Friday, Sept. 20 at 6:30 p.m. MST.

Clarification: A previous version of this story called the soccer team the women’s soccer team. It has been updated to reflect the change.

Reach the reporter at ltochter@asu.edu and follow @Leo_Toch on Twitter.

×