FYG U Music and Tech Festival brings Duke Dumont and Whethan to ASU

The free festival for students mixes tech-inspired music with various career opportunities

Crowd of ASU students dance at ASU’s Devilpalooza on ASU's Tempe campus in Tempe, Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. 

A new festival with loud, beat-intensive music and a platform to learn more about technology is coming to the Tempe campus.

FYG U Music and Tech Festival, a national tour to universities, will be visiting ASU on Oct. 19 and bringing electronic dance music (EDM) artists including Duke Dumont and Whethan to the Sun Devil Fitness Complex. Doors open at 5 p.m. 

The festival will include performances on the TikTok Main Stage, live esports tournaments, industry career panels and technology simulators presented by Amazon Prime and Big Noise Live

VIP access to the Prime Student Lounge and VIP Main Stage viewing area will be available to students who have Amazon Prime Student memberships.

Due to limited tickets, students are encouraged to reserve their free tickets online here

Since 2017, FYG (Find Your Grind) encourages students to explore unconventional career paths through discovery platforms. 

The event offers panels with music industry experts and career mentors. Students will have an opportunity to network and ask important questions in unique fields. 

The event will encompass activities from live esports tournaments to an interactive teaching session on cloud computing technology.

Michelle Kirk, digital publicist for the event, said the festival will include exclusive opportunities that many colleges don't provide.

The free festival is a way for students to explore their passions and see how unconventional majors can turn into careers, Kirk said. Students will have the opportunity to meet people in these industries and learn directly from them.

“I wish I had the chance to do something like this when I was in college because I didn’t really know what I wanted to do," Kirk said. "It would have been really cool to just come and learn, to meet other people who have similar passions and learn how to make it a career."

FYG U will visit seven universities, bringing different artists each time. 

Select student DJs will perform before the headlining acts through a showcase called CAMPVS.

Jonathan Rodriguez, a junior studying digital culture, and his musical partner created the DJ group called Ata Boi. The duo will be one of the acts leading up to main artists.

Rodriguez said these days leading up to the festival are “nerve-wracking,” but that he is grateful to be given this opportunity. 

“It allows us to display our skills and just try and set a vibe with everybody in the crowd because that’s kind of why we started doing this," he said. "We like to get people dancing." 

Kiwan Wilson, a senior studying exercise and wellness, will also be performing under his stage name Trae Wills

Wilson said he has been involved in music since he was born and that the opportunity to perform before Duke Dumont and Whethan is "exhilarating." 

“I’m pumped up and just ready to kill it honestly,” Wilson said. “All my hard work in the past three years of staying up overnight, not getting sleep for two nights trying to understand how to DJ … it kind of feels like this is all paying off, especially when I'll get to see all my friends (in the crowd).”

Correction: A previous version of this article misstated the type of Amazon membership needed to gain VIP access to the Prime Student Lounge and VIP Main Stage viewing area.

Reach the reporter at emsears@asu.edu and follow @_emilyasu on Twitter.

×