NCAA votes to allow student-athletes to profit from their name, image, likeness

This action will ask each of the three divisions to modernize laws concerning student-athletes' abilities to pursue monetization

_20190915 Sun Devil Stadium 0091.jpg

Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona is pictured on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019. 

The NCAA Board of Governors voted unanimously to allow student-athletes to profit off of their "name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association announced in a release Tuesday.

The board's action will ask each of the three NCAA divisions to modernize laws concerning student-athletes' abilities to pursue monetization.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes,"  Michael V. Drake, chair of the board and president of Ohio State University, said in the release. 

According to the release, the NCAA said the modernization of the laws needs to abide by the following principles:

• Assure student-athletes are treated similarly to non-athlete students unless a compelling reason exists to differentiate. 
  • Maintain the priorities of education and the collegiate experience to provide opportunities for student-athlete success. 
  • Ensure rules are transparent, focused and enforceable and facilitate fair and balanced competition. 
  • Make clear the distinction between collegiate and professional opportunities. 
  • Make clear that compensation for athletics performance or participation is impermissible. 
  • Reaffirm that student-athletes are students first and not employees of the university. 
  • Enhance principles of diversity, inclusion and gender equity. 
  • Protect the recruiting environment and prohibit inducements to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution.

The NCAA said any of the new rules can be implemented immediately, but no later than January 2021, according to the release.

“We appreciate the discussion and interest in re-evaluating what it means to be a student athlete in today’s fast-changing world," ASU President Michael Crow said in a statement. "The NCAA guidelines and principles offered today are clear and fair. ASU will continue to participate in the discussion and process around the modernization of NCAA bylaws and policies.”

This is currently the only comment from the University on this topic. 

The action comes in light of California legislature in late September passing Senate Bill 206, which would allow student-athletes to start profiting off their likeness beginning in January 2023. 

Since the signing of the bill, other lawmakers in states such as New York, Florida and Colorado have either expressed interest or have filed bills similar to SB 206.

Editor's note: This story was updated at 1:35 p.m. to include a statement from ASU President Michael Crow.

Reach the reporter at jhorst2@asu.edu and follow @HorseySeven on Twitter.

Jeffrey HorstDigital editor-in-chief

Jeffrey Horst is the digital editor-in-chief of The State Press. He previously served as the publication's sports editor and worked at Cronkite News and ArizonaSports.com.

×