ASU women's basketball blows out Army 83-51

The Sun Devils' quickness and speed overwhelmed the Black Knights Sunday

_20191110 women's basketball vs Army 0201.jpg

Now-senior guard/forward Bre'yanna Sanders (24), now-junior guard/forward Iris Mbulito (23) and now-sophomore forward Eboni Walker (22) celebrate a basket on Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019, at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe, Arizona. 

Faster, smaller, quicker. ASU’s 83-51 victory over Army on Sunday was the start of something new. 

The days of Kianna Ibis post ups and half court sets designed around the low block are gone. The slow and steady half-court approach the Sun Devils displayed a season ago is now a product of the past.

“We graduated our whole front line and top three post players so there was a lot to replace,” ASU head coach Charli Turner Thorne said after ASU's win.

ASU finished the night with 24 fast break points. 

“We’re definitely a really fast team this year and we plan to get a lot of our points in transition,” said Sun Devil sophomore forward Jayde Van Hyfte

The Sun Devils' new speedy approach starts up front. With Ibis, Charnea Johnson-Chapman and Sophia Elenga now gone, their new-look front court controlled the tempo from the jump Sunday.

ASU senior forward Ja’Tavia Tapley had a remarkable night, scoring 18 points in just 15 minutes of play. At 6'3'', Tapley’s energy and athleticism give the Sun Devils an entirely new dimension to their offense.

“I appreciate coming here and making a difference,” Tapley said. “I’m glad I can bring that to this team after not being able to do that the last couple of years.”

Turner Throne praised Tapley's performence after the game. 

“She’s just really fitting in our system well,” Turner Thorne said. “We haven’t had our fives running the break and making passes off the dribble like she has."

After averaging just 6.8 minutes per game a season ago, Van Hyfte also shined and had the strongest game of her young career. The sophomore recorded her first career double-double against the Black Knights.

With forwards who can run the floor like Tapley and Van Hyfte, ASU’s guards did an excellent job of pushing the tempo on both ends of the floor. After missing the opener due to injury, senior guard Robbi Ryan returned to action Sunday and posted 12 points, six rebounds and three assists.  

As a team, the Sun Devils forced 25 Army turnovers on defense and registered 32 second-chance points offensively.

Despite the 32-point victory, ASU shot just 4-21 from three-point range, which could become troublesome when the team enters conference play.

But through two games, most signs are pointing upward for Turner Thorne’s team.

“We just keep building,” Ryan said. “Not just every game, but every week.”

Reach the reporter at kbriley@asu.edu and on Twitter @KokiRiley.

×