ASU football’s Brandon Aiyuk to miss bowl game, prepare for NFL Draft

The senior wideout finished with 1,666 career receiving yards in 25 games

_20190829 ASU Football vs Kent State 0013.jpg

ASU senior wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk (2) stretches out before the team's home opener against Kent State on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

Sun Devil wide receiver and special teams returner Brandon Aiyuk will sit out of the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas and prepare for the 2020 NFL Draft next spring, he announced via Twitter on Sunday morning.

"Suiting up in maroon and gold and walking out of the tunnel into Sun Devil stadium to play in front of such incredible ASU fans is an indescribable feeling," Aiyuk said in his statement on Twitter. "My gratitude for ASU has no end ... Sun Devil for Life!"

Aiyuk joined the ASU football team after two years at Sierra College. In his time in junior college, Aiyuk was ranked as the 10th best JUCO wide receiver in the nation, according to 247 Sports. 

In his time at Sierra College, Aiyuk recorded nearly 2,500 all-purpose yards and 23 touchdowns over two seasons.

Following his freshman and sophomore seasons, he transferred to ASU for the 2018 season as a junior, where he recorded 474 receiving yards, three touchdowns, and 33 receptions in 13 games.

He also had 314 kick return yards and 67 total punt return yards, resulting in 855 total all-purpose yards for the 2018 season.

His senior season, Aiyuk broke out as one of the best receivers in the Pac-12, ending the regular season with 1,192 receiving yards, eight receiving touchdowns, 226 punt return yards and one punt return touchdown.

Aiyuk joins junior running back Eno Benjamin in preparation for the NFL Draft next year. Benjamin announced his decision to forgo his senior season earlier this week on Instagram.

Correction: The previous headline for this story incorrectly stated that Aiyuk declared for the NFL Draft. It has been updated to reflect the change.

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×