Sun Devil football lands 13 recruits with beginning of Early Signing Period

The Sun Devils reeled in five four-star and eight three-star recruits in Early Signing, which began Wednesday

102718FootballVUSC14-2.jpg

ASU head coach Herm Edwards watches his team play against the USC Trojans on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The ASU football team has recruited 13 players for their 2020 class to kick off the Early Signing Period, which began Wednesday. 

The class may grow over the next few months but is down from last year's class of 24 enrollees, including freshman quarterback Jayden Daniels.

The class currently features four defensive backs, two wide receivers, two linebackers, two offensive linemen, two defensive linemen and one running back.

Here are some of the best players who signed with the Sun Devils.

Johnny Wilson, WR - Calabasas (Calabasas, CA)

Wilson, the 11th prospect in California, had originally committed to Pac-12 rival Oregon but decommitted and flipped to sign with ASU on Wednesday, per Arizona Sports. Wilson had offers from 37 Division I programs across the nation.

Jordan Banks, OLB - Narbonne (Harbor City, CA)

Outside linebacker Jordan Banks joins Wilson as one of the more highly-touted recruits committing to ASU. During his senior season, he had 22 solo tackles, 68 total tackles as well as three interceptions. Banks received 20 DI offers, including Oklahoma, Alabama, Arizona, USC and Ohio State.

DeaMonte Trayanum, RB - Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH)

Four-star running back DeaMonte Trayanum comes out of high school as the fifth prospect out of Ohio and the 22nd best running back in the class nationally.

Chad Johnson Jr., WR - Cathedral (Los Angeles, CA)

Johnson Jr., son of former NFL wide receiver Chad Johnson, committed to ASU back in October 2018 and signed his National Letter of Intent (NLI) on Wednesday. Johnson is the 27th ranked recruit in California. 

Omarr Norman-Lott, DT - Grant Union (Sacramento, CA)

Defensive tackle Norman-Lott committed to ASU in early October. ASU defensive line coach Jamar Cain, as reported in an article for 247sports, is Norman-Lott's uncle. Norman-Lott, who's the 29th best recruit out of California, will graduate from high school in December and enroll at ASU next month.

ASU still has two "hard commits," linebacker Will Shafferout of Scottsdale, AZ and wide receiver Ryan Morgan from Lompoc, CA, that will likely officially join the 2020 recruiting class, but neither of the two have signed their NLI's yet.

Clarification: This story has been updated to more clearly state Wilsonโ€™s state ranking. 

Reach the reporter at aklatsky@asu.edu and follow @averyklatsky on Twitter. 

×