Next week in events: Spring Fest, food trucks, film festivals and more

The State Press looks into ASU events for the week of Feb. 4 to Feb. 11

nextweek.jpeg

"Spark your calendars." Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018.     

Tuesday, Feb. 4

The Larry Madrigal: Tightrope art exhibit shows the significance of everyday occurrences and balancing expectations. The exhibit will take place at ASU's art building at the Harry Wood Gallery and the opening reception will occur from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The exhibit closes on Feb. 7. 

HOT MIC! Stand-Up Comedy Open Mic is free and open to everyone over 21 at the Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix. Signup starts at 7 p.m. and performances start at 8 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 5  

Visual Stories of Place Inspired by Huichol World View is presented by the Cultural Arts Coalition and the Academies at South Mountain and will take place on the West campus. The exhibit, which will take place at the Fletcher Library, showcases art that explores culture, critical thinking and metaphors.

ASU Gammage to Feature the Photography of Gina Santi will display Santi's images from Feb. 5 through April 13. The exhibit is composed of 20 images that portray life in Nepal. 

Student musicians will play at Spring Fest from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The event will be held at the Civic Space Park at ASU's Downtown Phoenix campus. 

View this post on Instagram

IMAGES OF THE MONTH – JANUARY 2020: A relatively undisturbed, unique indigenous culture in Panama is that of the Guna. The Guna live in a Panamanian autonomous province called Guna Yala, which comprises the nearly 400 islands of the San Blas Archipelago, and a strip of Caribbean Coast from Colón Province to Colombia. The Guna are mostly known for their colorful molas. Mola is the Guna word for blouse, but the term has come to mean the elaborate embroidered panels made by Guna women, that make up the front and back of their blouses. They are composed of several layers of cloth, varying in color, loosely stitched together using the technique known as reverse appliqué. The Guna have presided over the region since the 1920s. Today they govern themselves, and have two representatives in the Panamanian legislature. The Guna people, especially women, are stubborn protectors and carriers of their culture, as well as shrewd businesspeople. **** IMÁGENES DEL MES – ENERO 2020: Una cultura indígena relativamente tranquila y única en Panamá es la de los Guna. Los Guna viven en una provincia autónoma panameña llamada Guna Yala, que comprende las casi 400 islas del archipiélago de San Blas y una franja de la costa caribeña desde la provincia de Colón hasta Colombia. Los Guna son principalmente conocidos por sus coloridas molas. Mola es la palabra guna para blusa, pero el término ha llegado a significar los elaborados paneles elaborados por mujeres guna, que forman el frente y la parte posterior de sus blusas. Se componen de varias capas de tela, que varían en color, unidas utilizando la técnica conocida como aplicación inversa. Los Guna han presidido la región desde la década de 1920. Hoy se gobiernan a sí mismos y tienen dos representantes en la legislatura panameña. Los Guna, principalmente las mujeres, son obstinadas protectoras y portadoras de su cultura, así como también son astutas empresarias. #ginasantiphoto #ginasantiphotography #panama #gunayala #molas #visualanthropology @natgeotravel @natgeo @lonelyplanet @cntraveler @societyforvisualanthropology

A post shared by Gina Santi Fotografía (@ginasantiphotography) on

Thursday, February 6

Professional Development for Educators - STEM invites middle and high school teachers to the West campus for professional development days at La Sala in the University Center building. Certificates are issued to those who complete a full day, which runs from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Friday, Feb. 7

ACMRS Annual Conference: Unfreedom runs from 10:45 a.m. to 7 p.m. Regular registration is $200 but students and other community members can register for $100. The conference will focus on those who have been defined by their  "unfreedom," coercion and constraint. The event features speakers, an organ performance and a farewell reception on Feb. 8 at the Desert Botanical Garden. 

30th Annual Phoenix Chinese Week Festival starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m. The festival will take place at Margaret T. Hance Park East in Phoenix. Vegetable carving and koi exhibits are among the attractions at the festival. It will continue through Sunday.

Saturday, Feb. 8

The 20th Annual Arizona Strong Beer Festival will take place from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix. Brewers will create 20 collaboration beers with local and national breweries. Ticket prices start at $60 and a complete beer list will be available on the social beer app, Untappd

Arizona Strong Beer Festival is one of more than 200 events taking place this week for Arizona Beer Week. 

ASU Symphony Orchestra: Ravel, Kaminsky, and Beethoven Pastoral Symphony starts at 7:30 p.m. at ASU's Gammage in Tempe. Tickets on StubHub range from $22 to almost $500.

ASU Open Door 2020 - Downtown Phoenix offers interactive activities and tours of the Downtown Phoenix campus from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Participants can tour media labs and the nutrition kitchen among other locations to see how ASU operates behind the scenes. 

Sunday, Feb. 9

Street Eats Food Truck Festival's last day takes place from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is located at the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Arena. 55 food trucks will provide all kinds of food and visitors can listen to live music and take cooking classes. Ticket prices start at $8 and free for children 12 years old and under.

Limmud AZ is a full-day program at Tempe's Memorial Union to showcase Jewish learning experiences. The program is $18 for college students and $15 for attendees under 18 years old. 

Monday, Feb. 10

The Greater Phoenix Jewish Film Festival starts at 7 p.m. and can be found at Tempe Marketplace. The event will feature the film Crescendo, a story about a world-famous conductor's journey to create an Israeli-Palestinian orchestra. Tickets are $10. 

Painting with a Twist is hosting a Manic Monday event that will run from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Participants can paint with step by step instructions and take their creations home. The studio allows participants who are of legal drinking age to bring their own beer or wine for classes that take place after 4 p.m. 

Reach the reporter at kreinha3@asu.edu and follow @ReinhartKatelyn on Twitter.

×