Refresh your wardrobe with these spring fashion trends

Echo writer Vaishalini Sitaraman shares her top eight picks for the spring season

Dam_Sitaraman_FashionTrends-01.jpg

“Tailored to a powerful silhouette, they can be dressed up or down for any occasion.” Illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020.

With temperatures on the rise and fashion show season around the corner, it's time to prepare for spring shopping. Check out the biggest trends for the spring 2020 season, plus low budget options for the broke yet fashionable college student. 

1. Hot weather in hot pants

This season, forgo your classic Daisy Dukes for the more fashionable styles that headlined collections by Isabel Marant, Chanel and Tom Ford. Instead, live out your Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen style dreams in a vintage-inspired pair of shorts.  

ASU students can try cheaper, high-street versions from retailers like ASOS and Zara.  

Try out these styling options with your new pieces: 

• Wrap a printed belt around a pair of leather shorts, tuck in a halter top and pair with mules in the same shade as the belt. Add a matching cropped leather jacket for a biker chic touch. 
  • Pair a long line trench coat in a nude shade with pleated shorts in the same color for a classic French-inspired look. Extra marks if you pair it with a matching hair accessory, such as a newsboy cap, beret, or pearl beaded headband.  

2. Leather, leather and more leather

Steal a page out of Sandra Dee's book and give yourself an edgy makeover with some stylish leather pieces. While leather is a timeless and classic material, runways this year have showcased leather in a variety of bright colors and unique silhouettes. Try out this season’s designer favorite: the form-fitting leather dress.

• Pair a belted leather dress with a pair of sophisticated patterned tights and pumps for a luxurious business look. 
  • Match a sleeveless leather dress with a plunging neckline with a puffed sleeve turtleneck top to add interest. Try adding some bold contrast with a red blouse to make a statement. 

3. And just like that, disco isn't dead

It seems designers and fashionistas alike are hot under the collar for disco ... literally. The disco collar is a statement you can easily bring to your wardrobe. Victoria Beckham, Fendi, Saint Laurent and Salvatore Ferragamo showcased this trend within their spring/summer collections. A nod to your parents' early teenage party wear, this fashion trend is a perfect vintage option for the spring. 

Consider these styling options: 

4. Big, bad bags

Say goodbye to the mini handbag trend from last year. Practicality has taken the forefront with this year’s accessory designs as big bags have taken over this season’s runways.  

Try this cheaper, high street option that goes with any outfit. This tote bag is perfect for carrying around a laptop and other school supplies.

Check out this other runway bag trends to incorporate in your dream bag.

5. Short suits

Short suits are the perfect option for those days you have to dress to impress but it’s just too hot out to bother wearing a full suit. Designers such as Saint Laurent and Bottega Veneta have hopped on this trend full force with their new collections. Tailored to a powerful silhouette, they can be dressed up or down for any occasion.  

ASU students can try one of these cheaper, high street options from ASOS

Check out these styling options with your new suit: 

• Pair a short suit in a bold color — jade green or a cinnamon color would be a perfect choice —with tall, heeled leather boots to feel powerful. 
  • For a more relaxed look, pair a Bermuda shorts suit with tennis shoes for a sophisticated twist to an everyday outfit.  

6. Bermuda shorts

Menswear-inspired Bermuda shorts have been prominent among the likes of Altuzarra, Bottega Veneta, Givenchy and Tod’s. Try these shorts out for those days when you want to add a little masculine twist to your outfit.  

Consider trying out these styling options with your new pieces: 

• Try a monochromatic look with a white puffed sleeve top paired with white Bermuda shorts. White mules would be the perfect addition. 
  • Pair a bright pair of Bermuda shorts with a cropped bandeau for a cute summer outfit. Add a patterned pair of heels for a pop of personality. 

7. Waistcoats

An ode to the '90s and 2000's, vests are back with a vengeance. Insert a little bit of workwear-inspired flair into your spring outfits.  

Try out these options for that new waistcoat: 

• Pair a double-breasted waistcoat over a white button-up and black trousers for a classic work look. For an extra pop of personality, add a patterned blazer in a pattern like houndstooth.
  • Try layering a turtleneck underneath a vest and pair with a plaid schoolgirl skirt for a true Gossip Girl-inspired look. Add floral tights for some patterned flair. 

8. '70s prints

Bring a little (or a lot) of those retro vibes back into your wardrobe with some psychedelic, '70s-inspired clothing. Designers such as Alberta Ferretti, Victoria Beckham and Etro lined their runways up with '70s-inspired clothing.  

Try out these styling options with your new spring pieces: 

• Pair a brightly patterned top with a pair of satin pants in one of the colors from the top and combat boots. For example, if your top has a lot of red in it, try some high-waisted red pants. 
  • Try layering a pair of overalls over a printed top, and add some classic combat boots to complete the look. 

For more styling ideas, check out this Youtube video by Alexa Chung detailing global fashion trends!

Reach the reporter at vsitara3@asu.edu and follow @_vaishalini_ on Twitter.

×