Previewing the keys to ASU football's rivalry game against UA

Both the Sun Devils and the Wildcats head into the Territorial Cup winless and seeking to turn around their seasons

_20191130 football vs UA 0711.jpg

ASU sophomore linebacker Darien Butler (37) tackles UA junior running back Gary Brightwell (23) in the first half of the Territorial Cup on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

In a season marred by game cancellations, the looming threat of COVID-19 and an abbreviated schedule, college football teams across the country can take solace in winning the one contest that matters most: their rivalry game. 

That opportunity will come Friday for ASU (0-2) when it faces off against UA (0-4) in Tucson at 5 p.m MST in the 94th edition of the Territorial Cup. 

The circumstances surrounding the game will be different this year — it will not mark each team’s regular-season finale, and the typically charged-up crowds that accompany the matchup will be absent. 

“It’s a shame that fans can’t come into the stands,” ASU head coach Herm Edwards said. “I remember the first time playing it down there, it was quite an atmosphere. And then last year, they came here, and the atmosphere hadn’t changed a whole lot.”

Yet, the hunger remains for both teams. The Sun Devils are seeking to turn around a season that has begun with consecutive tight losses, while the Wildcats look to snap their 11-game losing streak. 

READ MORE:  ASU vs. UA: Looking back on the Territorial Cup

ASU’s strong run game versus UA's poor run defense 

Following a strong freshman campaign from now-sophomore quarterback Jayden Daniels and the hiring of offensive coordinator Zak Hill, who favored pass-heavy attacks in his time at Boise State, it seemed ASU was gearing up to dominate through the air in 2020. 

Yet, the Sun Devils have racked up more yards and touchdowns on the ground than in the air in two games, featuring an attack propelled by freshman running back Chip Trayanum, junior running back Rachaad White and Daniels. 

Both running backs have individually averaged an efficient seven yards per carry, which Hill attributed to “their ability to break tackles, stay on their feet (and) keep their balance.”

It’s fun to watch those guys run,” Hill said. “Right now, they’re the most consistent part of this offense.”

After racking up 258 yards on the ground versus USC, ASU ran for 165 more against a UCLA defense that allowed less than 100 rushing yards per game over its previous three contests.

The Wildcats, meanwhile, have been gashed on the ground this season, allowing 273.5 rushing yards per game, tied for the second-worst mark of 127 FBS teams, along with 12 touchdowns, setting up potentially another big day for ASU’s runners.

The Wildcats' quarterback uncertainty

Along with their issues against the run, the Wildcats have been dealt a difficult hand with their situation at quarterback this season. 

After three-year starting quarterback Khalil Tate graduated, UA turned to sophomore Grant Gunnell, who threw for 1,239 yards as a freshman, to take over the starting job in 2020.

Gunnell played well over his first two starts, tossing six touchdowns to one interception, but suffered a right shoulder injury early in his third game versus UCLA.

He missed the following contest versus Colorado and, according to UA head coach Kevin Sumlin, his status to play versus ASU remains uncertain.

His replacement, freshman Will Plummer, has struggled, completing under 54% of his passes with no touchdowns and three interceptions. The Wildcats' passing yards per game have fallen from 272.5 over its first two games to 153.5 over the last two. 

Such performances have shifted UA's playcalling to be more run-heavy, an approach which opens up possibilities for effective play-action passes and screens, ASU co-defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce said, simplifying Plummer’s job through the air. 

“They’re pretty dynamic, to be honest, on the outside,” Pierce said. “They’ve got some guys who can do a good job running after the catch.”

If Gunnell is unable to play, Plummer’s task will remain difficult facing a strong ASU secondary and pass rush that has racked up eight sacks through two games. The freshman's ability to make necessary throws will be key in determining the potency of UA's offense. 

Possible X-Factor: Limiting self-inflicted wounds

The circumstances surrounding this game appear to favor the Sun Devils, but their inability to avoid sloppy play and difficulties closing games have plagued them thus far.

ASU committed just 14 turnovers last year, and Daniels threw just two interceptions all season.

But that strength has flipped on its head thus far, turning the ball over five times through two games.

The Sun Devils outgained the Bruins by nearly 80 yards last week but were devastated by consecutive drives that ended with turnovers deep in Bruin territory. 

“We should have had multiple touchdowns there that could have helped us win that game,” Hill said. “We just didn’t finish drives.”

The Sun Devils also committed 12 penalties, costing them 83 yards against the Bruins and, at one point, wiping a score off the board.

Against USC, it was ASU's special teams play that was particularly problematic. First, redshirt senior defensive back Jack Jones muffed a punt early. Then, ASU's failure to recover an onside kick in the final minutes of the fourth quarter left the door open for USC’s decisive score.  

With rust potentially still playing a factor for ASU and the general unpredictability that comes with a rivalry game, Edwards said that regardless of what the matchup may look like on paper, nothing is certain. 

“They have not won a game; we have not won a game,” Edwards said. “All bets are off.”

Reach the reporter at cbreber@asu.edu and follow @carsobi on Twitter.

×