No. 10 ASU men's golf finishes second in Southwestern Invitational

The Sun Devils finished second despite sophomore David Puig winning the individual tournament

IMG_9335.jpg

ASU sophomore men's golfer David Puig looks at his shot after his swing during the Copper Cup at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa on Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. UA ended the day ahead of ASU 6.5-5.5.

No. 10 ASU men's golf finished second overall and sophomore David Puig finished first in the individual rankings at the three-day Southwestern Invitational held at the North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village, California.

Puig was dominant each day, finishing atop the individual leaderboard at 10 strokes under par and finishing all three days either tied or in first place. 

The four other golfers alongside Puig were fifth-year senior Chun An Yu, graduate student Blake Wagoner, junior Cameron Sisk and sophomore Ryggs Johnston.

ASU held a slight lead after the first day of the tournament thanks in large part to Puig, who ended day one tied for first in the individual leaderboard along with USC freshman Shane Ffrench and SMU junior Noah Goodwin.

Johnston had a strong first day as well, finishing one stroke under par, tied for the fourth-best score after the first round. Johnston, however, was unable to sustain his momentum as he fell to two strokes over par after day two, and ended the tournament 10 strokes over par.

Day two was Puig's best, going from two strokes under par after the first day to finishing the second day eight strokes under par. ASU held the overall team lead after two rounds.

ASU and SDSU went back-and-forth for most of the third day, with the match coming down to the final few holes. The Aztecs went five strokes over par in the third round compared to the Sun Devils' 15 strokes over par, helping the Aztecs finish the tournament in first.

Yu and Puig were the exceptions to the team's struggles in the final round. Puig finished the third round two strokes under par. Yu was consistent after the first half of day one and finished the tournament one stroke above par, tied for seventh overall.

ASU will play next on Feb. 2 in the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×