No. 10 ASU men's golf finishes first in Amer Ari Invitational

Sophomore David Puig continued his strong play, finishing 13 strokes under par

David Puig

ASU sophomore David Puig looks at the ball before a putt during the Copper Cup at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa on Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. UA ended the first day ahead of ASU 6.5–5.5.

No. 10 ASU men's golf finished first in the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii from Feb. 2-4. Sophomore David Puig and graduate student Blake Wagoner both finished in the top two of the individual leaderboard.

The Sun Devils finished 37 strokes under par and 12 strokes better than second-place USC. All six of ASU's golfers finished under par, with Puig having the best score at -13.

The Sun Devils had five golfers competing for the team: Puig, fifth-year senior Chun An Yu, junior Cameron Sisk, senior Mason Andersen and sophomore Ryggs Johnston. Wagoner competed as an individual and did not count toward the team's score.

Puig continued his hot play at the invitational, finishing more than three strokes under par all three days. He had only five bogeys throughout the three-day tournament and went on a run from hole two on day one to hole two on the final day where he did not finish a hole above par.

Coming off of a rough performance in the Southwestern Invitational, Wagoner finished nine strokes under par. After day one, Wagoner led all golfers with nine strokes under par and broke a course record that stood since 1996 by two strokes. 

Wagoner finished the tournament tied for second with USC sophomore Tyler Guo.

After not playing in the Southwestern Invitational, Andersen was back in action and finished tied for seventh at six strokes under par. 

ASU will compete next at The Prestige three-day tournament in Palm Desert, California starting on Feb. 15.

Reach the reporter at drodish@asu.edu and follow @david_rodish on Twitter.

×