Struggling ASU women's basketball falls to previously winless Cal

The Sun Devils shot just 28.6% from the field and allowed the Golden Bears to shoot 48.8% overall

wbb-cal-photo

ASU junior guard Iris Mbulito (10) goes for a layup against Cal in Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, California, on Sunday, Feb. 21, 2021. ASU lost 67-55.

ASU women's basketball lost 67-55 against Cal, who was previously 0-14, on Sunday afternoon in Berkeley, California. ASU has lost six of its last seven Pac-12 games.

The Sun Devils sputtered again offensively, shooting just 28.6% from the field and 55% from the free-throw line.

Junior guard Taya Hanson scored a team-leading 17 points on 6-of-18 shooting from the field and 5 of 12 from the three-point line. Freshman guard Jaddan Simmons added 10 points but shot 2 of 13 overall.

No other player for the Sun Devils scored above six points.

Head coach Charli Turner Thorne said after ASU's loss against Washington on Feb. 12 that her team has not shot well in game scenarios during practice, and those struggles have continued to translate in games. 

ASU also allowed Cal to shoot 48.8% from the field and 35.7% from the three-point line. The Golden Bears also managed to score 24 points in the paint and went to the free-throw line often, where they hit 22 of 28 shots. 

Cal had not scored 67 points or more in a game since the Pac-12 Tournament last March.

Cal sophomore guard Leilani McIntosh led the team with 21 points on 4-of-4 shooting from three and 7-of-7 shooting from the free-throw line.

Dating back to ASU's loss at Stanford, it has allowed opponents to score at least 20 points in five of its last seven quarters played.

ASU will face No. 10 UA next for its final regular-season game on Feb. 28 at 12 p.m. MST in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at alexjweiner@gmail.com and follow @alexjweiner on Twitter.

×