Active COVID-19 cases within ASU community decrease to 81

The University is reporting 18 fewer cases since its last update

20210202 COVID Vaccine 0009.jpg

Point of Distribution Manager Amanda Rice explains the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021. ASU was authorized to administer 1,000 vaccines beginning Jan. 22. 

Active COVID-19 cases in the ASU community have continued to decrease for five consecutive weeks.

The University reported a total of 81 active cases on Thursday — 18 fewer cases since Monday's update. Of the active cases, 73 are students and the remaining 8 are employees. 

Currently, two students are in isolation on the Tempe campus, and one student is in isolation on the ASU Downtown Phoenix, West or Polytechnic campuses. There are 70 cases off-campus in the metropolitan Phoenix area.

The University has reported a cumulative total of 1,847 positive COVID-19 cases since Jan. 1, out of the 61,246 total tests administered. 

Since Aug. 1, the University has reported a cumulative total of 6,352 positive COVID-19 cases. 

The ASU community's percent positivity rate is roughly 2.6%, using the cumulative number of positive results as the numerator and the total number of tests collected as the denominator. The percent positivity rate represents the level of transmission of the virus and shows if the testing is effective.

On Wednesday, Gov. Doug Ducey issued an executive order requiring all Arizona K-12 schools to offer in-person learning by mid-March.

In an effort to help schools re-open safely in the spring, ASU has partnered with Arizona Department of Health Services to open eight new COVID-19 testing sites for school districts across the state. 

The eight new sites will provide testing exclusively for teachers and staff in participating districts. 

Districts in Chandler, Flagstaff, Globe/Miami, south Phoenix, Tempe, Tucson and Yuma are listed as recipients of the new testing sites, according to a press release by the University.

Meanwhile, ADHS reported 1,154 new positive cases in Arizona on Thursday, along with 96 new reported deaths and 16,185 total deaths.

ADHS announced Monday that vaccination appointments will now open to adults aged 55 and older at two of its state-run sites — Phoenix Municipal and State Farm stadiums — assisted by ASU. Around 50,000 appointment slots will open Tuesday at noon and people can sign up on the state's website.

Reach the reporter at kkwilso5@asu.edu and follow @kaceywilson_ on Twitter. 

Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today.

×