Olympic sports roundup: Track and field sets new record, volleyball picks up historic win

Turner Washington set another ASU track and field record, and volleyball won its first game at Stanford since 1982

turner-washington

ASU redshirt junior thrower Turner Washington practices shot put at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Jan. 10, 2021.

ASU's Olympic sports saw another record broken in track and field, a historic win in volleyball, the soccer team's unbeaten streak end and gymnastics place in the top four in the Pac-12 Championships this past week.

Track and Field

ASU track and field secured 21 top-three finishes at the 2021 Willie Williams Classic on Friday and Saturday in Tucson. 

Redshirt junior Turner Washington highlighted the meet for ASU, breaking the program’s outdoor men’s discus record with a throw of 64.23 meters to win first place in the event. 

Redshirt senior Ian Schulz finished third in the men’s discus by throwing 53.71 meters. He also finished in second in the men’s shot put by throwing for a distance of 18.05 meters.

Graduate student Jorinde van Klinken earned first place in the women’s discus by throwing for a distance of 57.74 meters. 

Freshman Dylan James earned a second-place finish in the men’s long jump, while fifth-year senior Amanda Carty secured third place in the women’s long jump.

James also won first place in the men's triple jump by recording a distance of 15.54 meters.

Junior Carlan Naisant secured first place in the men's javelin throw, and redshirt junior Cerah Moren took home third place in the women’s javelin throw.

Redshirt junior Cole Riddle finished in first place in the men's pole vault, and senior Tommi Hintnaus secured second place in the women's pole vault. 

Sophomore Vincent Mauri secured first place in the men's 1,500 meters, while sophomore Lena Lebrun earned third place in the women's 1,500 meters.

ASU will compete next at the Grand Canyon Invitational on April 3 in Phoenix. 

Volleyball

ASU volleyball lost to Stanford 3-0 (25-22, 25-16, 25-16) on Friday, snapping its three-match win streak.

After ASU took a 16-11 lead in the first set, Stanford produced three runs of 3-0 or greater, one of which ended the set to win it 25-22.

ASU kept the second set close early, but Stanford produced a 7-1 run to take a 20-12 lead, helping the team eventually win the set 25-16. 

Stanford used two 4-0 runs and a 5-0 run in the third set to win it 25-16 to complete the sweep.

ASU responded to the sweep with a 3-2 (19-25, 26-24, 25-22, 19-25, 15-11) win against Stanford on Sunday, its first victory at Stanford since 1982.

Stanford took control of the first set from the beginning, producing runs of 5-0 and 6-0 to help win it 25-19.

The Sun Devils and the Cardinal traded runs throughout the second set up until the former team held set point. Stanford tied the set at 24-24, but ASU responded by scoring two points to win the set 26-24.

ASU took a lead early in the third set and never relinquished it to Stanford. The Sun Devils withstood a late 4-0 run from the Cardinal to win the set 25-22.

The Sun Devils never led in the fourth set despite producing multiple runs to keep up with the Cardinal, losing the set 25-19.

The Sun Devils used a 5-0 run at the beginning of the fifth set to take control and win it 15-11.

ASU will travel to take on Colorado next on March 26 and 28 in Boulder, Colorado.

Gymnastics 

ASU gymnastics scored a 196.375 to finish fourth at the night session of the Pac-12 Championships on Saturday in West Valley City, Utah.

The Sun Devils began the night by scoring a 49.075 on beam. Freshman Emily White led the team on beam with a 9.875.

Freshman Jada Mangahas scored a team-leading 9.900 on floor to help ASU score a 48.975 in the event.

ASU scored a 49.200 on vault, led freshman Anaya Smith's score of 9.925. 

The Sun Devils finished the meet on bars, scoring a 49.125. Senior Cairo Leonard-Baker and sophomore Juliette Boyer both scored 9.875 to lead ASU in the event.

Soccer

ASU soccer suffered its first defeat of the season on Friday in a 1-0 loss to UA in Tucson. Friday's loss was the Sun Devils' fifth consecutive loss to the Wildcats.

The match did not count toward conference play, meaning ASU (6-1-2) remains unbeaten in Pac-12 play (2-0-2).

Sophomore goalkeeper Giulia Cascapera recorded five saves in the game.

UA generated the majority of offensive chances throughout the game, recording more shots and generating more corner kicks than ASU.

The lone goal of the game came on a corner kick in the 32nd minute when UA junior defenseman Ava McCray headed in her second goal of the season.

ASU will travel to Los Angeles to take on UCLA next on March 26 at 7 p.m. MST.

Reach the reporters at njpietrz@asu.edu, lhertz@asu.edu and dmwilhe1@asu.edu, and follow @NPietrzycki, @laurenrachell_ and @dmwilhelm225 on Twitter. 

×