The major players for track and field in its outdoor season

Redshirt junior Turner Washington will be one of many athletes looking to carry positive momentum from the indoor to the outdoor season

20210325 Track

ASU distance sophomore Vincent Mauri (left) and distance redshirt senior Alex George run the men's 1,500 meters at the 2021 Willie Williams Classic at the Roy P. Drachman Track and Field Stadium in Tucson, Arizona on Friday, March 19, 2021. Mauri finished in first place and George finished in fourth place in the event.

ASU track and field looks to build off of a strong indoor season coming into its outdoor season. Some have already broken program records, such as redshirt junior Turner Washington, after competing at the Willie Williams Classic.

Here is who to look out for during ASU's outdoor season.

Throws 

Washington looks to transfer his dominance from the shot put in the indoor season to the discus throw in the outdoor season. 

He recently broke ASU's outdoor men's discus record after throwing for a distance of 64.23 meters when he competed at the Willie Williams Classic in Tucson on March 19.

It was Washington's first time competing in the event since 2018, as the 2019-20 outdoor season was canceled due to COVID-19. 

Graduate student Jorinde van Klinken arrived at ASU only a few months ago and has been an integral part of the team's success. 

Van Klinken's top outdoor mark came from the GCU Outdoor Invitational, where she threw shot put for a distance of 16.31 meters. Her top indoor mark came from the Championships at the Peak, where she threw for a distance of 17.76 meters. 

Van Klinken and Washington both earned first-team All-America honors on March 14 for their performance during the indoor season. The two also earned Pac-12 Player of the Week honors Wednesday.

Sprints

Senior Josephine Anokye leads ASU in the women's 100 meters. She secured a first-place finish at the GCU Outdoor Invitational on Feb. 3, finishing with a time of 11.9 seconds. 

Anokye also won the women's 200 meters at the meet, finishing with a time of 23.97 seconds. She finished second in the 100 meters at the Willie Williams Classic with a time of 11.58 seconds. 

Senior Kentre Patterson and freshman Jamar Marshall Jr. dominated the indoor season in the men's 60-meter hurdles and 60 meters and will look to continue doing so in the outdoor season. 

The duo simultaneously broke the ASU indoor record for the 60-meter hurdles at the Championships at the Peak meet on Feb. 25-27. 

"You never know what the time is going to be, but it was exciting. It was really fun for me," Patterson said on March 15. 

Senior Antonio Mitchell II also performed well in the 60 meters in the indoor season. He currently sits at seventh on the ASU top 10 men's indoor 60-meters list after setting a personal record at the Texas Tech Shootout with a time of 6.67 seconds. 

Distance

After the 2020 outdoor season was canceled, there hasn't been much action from the distance runners besides a limited cross country season. 

Sophomore Vincent Mauri led ASU's distance running in the indoor season, finishing second in the mile with a personal best time of 4:08.82 at the Arkansas Qualifier.

He also recently earned first place in the men's 1,500 meters with a time of 3:49.98 at the Willie Williams Classic.

"I think I'm pretty happy along with our whole team," Mauri said. "I think we can all say that we executed well."

Jumps

Since joining the Sun Devils in the Fall 2020 signing class, freshman Dylan James has been a standout for ASU track and field. He made his ASU debut at the Championships at the Peak meet and earned a third-place finish in the long jump with a 7.37-meter jump. 

He also currently sits ninth on ASU's top 10 men's indoor triple jump record list for a 15.46-meter jump, a feat he is proud of, "but it's obviously not as high as I would like it to be."

Fifth-year senior Amanda Carty recently tied for third at the Willie Williams Classic in the triple jump with a jump of 12.8 meters. She also secured first place at the GCU Outdoor Invitational in the long jump, recording a jump of 6.04 meters.

Before arriving at ASU last year, Carty was a top jumper at the University of Iowa. 

Pole vault 

Redshirt junior Cole Riddle looks to break his top heights in the outdoor pole vault. He is currently tied for second on ASU's top 10 men's outdoor pole vault list with a height of 5.5 meters. During the indoor season, Riddle finished in the top five in every event he competed in.

Junior Hayley Rayburn represented ASU track and field at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in the women's pole vault, where she placed 11th. She also earned second-team All-America honors for her performance in the indoor pole vault this season. 

Rayburn currently holds ASU's women's indoor pole vault record after clearing a height of 4.32 meters at the Texas Tech Shootout. 

Reach the reporter at lhertz@asu.edu and follow @laurenrachell_ on Twitter.

×