Olympic sports roundup: Track and field wins eight events in West Coast Classic

ASU's Turner Washington broke the program's men's discus record, while the soccer team dropped its third straight game to end its regular season

turner-washington

ASU redshirt junior thrower Turner Washington practices shot put at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Jan. 10, 2021.

ASU track and field continued its success by winning eight events at the West Coast Classic, and the women's soccer team ended its regular season with a loss to UA.

Track and Field

ASU secured eight wins at the West Coast Classic Saturday. The team split up for the competition, with the distance runners and throwers competing in Eugene, Oregon and the sprinters and jumpers competing in Tucson, Arizona. 

Redshirt junior Turner Washington broke the program record in men's outdoor discus throw once again, recording a distance of 66.26 meters to win the event.

Graduate student Jane Miller earned first place in the women's with a time of 16:45.72, a 15-second improvement on her previous best time.

Junior Hayley Rayburn, sophomore Sevanna Hanson and senior Tommi Hintnaus swept the top three positions in the women's pole vault. Rayburn and Hanson cleared the 4.20-meter height, while Hintnaus cleared the 4.10-meter height but failed to clear the 4.20-meter height.

In the men's 110-meter hurdles, freshman Jamar Marshall Jr. and senior Kentre Patterson finished in first and second place, respectively. Marshall Jr. finished with a time of 13.67 seconds, and Patterson finished with a time of 13.71 seconds. 

Redshirt senior Bianca Tinoco secured second place in the women's 800 meters with a time of 2:10.29. Senior Adam Meyer finished in first place in the men's 800 meters with a time of 1:51.85. 

ASU track and field will compete next at the Grand Canyon Invitational on April 24 in Phoenix. 

Arizona senior forward Jada Talley (22) scores the first goal in a game against ASU at the Sun Devil Football Stadium in Tempe on Friday, April 16, 2021. ASU lost 2-0.

Soccer

ASU dropped its third straight game in a 2-0 loss to UA Friday in Tempe to end its regular season.

UA took the lead in the 16th minute with a goal from senior forward Jada Talley and never looked back. The Wildcats outshot the Sun Devils 14-9 and put four more shots on net.

A 60th-minute goal from UA senior forward Jill Aguilera doubled the team's advantage, and the score remained the same until the final whistle.

With the loss, the Sun Devils finish the regular season at 8-5-2. ASU also finished 4-4-2 in Pac-12 play, a solid improvement from a winless 0-9-2 conference record in 2019.

ASU's attention turns to the NCAA Tournament selection, where it looks to be chosen for the 48-team postseason bracket on April 19 at 10 a.m. MST.

Reach the reporters at dmwilhe1@asu.edu and lhertz@asu.edu, and follow @dmwilhelm225 and @laurenrachell_ on Twitter.

×