ASU men's golf takes second place at the Fighting Illini Invitational

Senior Cameron Sisk and junior David Puig both tied for second place, leading the team to its second top-three finish in its first two tournaments

golf david puig

ASU junior men's golfer David Puig looks at his shot during the Copper Cup at the Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa on Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021. UA ended the day ahead of ASU 6.5-5.5. 

ASU men's golf wrapped up its second tournament over the past week, taking home second overall as a team behind the performances of senior Cameron Sisk and junior David Puig.

The Sun Devils competed at the Fighting Illini Invitational in Olympia Fields, Illinois, from Sept. 17-19. The team last won the invitational at the Olympia Fields Country Club in 2009.

Day One

Coming off of his victory at the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational on Sept. 15, Sisk struggled to get his shot going in the first round. On the 15th hole — a 576-yard, 5-par hole — Sisk sunk the ball on three strokes, giving him the lone eagle on the hole for the day.  Sisk finished with a 1-over total on the first day of the tournament.

READ MORE: Cameron Sisk seals the deal in ASU men's golf first tournament of 2021

Graduate student Mason Andersen finished his day with two birdies in the last three holes to bring his score down from 4-over to 2-over. He finished with four birdies and two bogeys on the round.

Freshman Preston Summerhays started off his second tournament at ASU with a 2-over total, his second-lowest round so far. Junior Ryggs Johnston dug himself into an early hole, ending the day with a 5-over total. 

Puig joined the team in Illinois, after missing the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational due to his attendance at the Maui Jim Intercollegiate Invitational from Sept. 10-12. He was able to tie for third place with a score of 15-under. 

In the Fighting Illini tournament, Puig ended his first round with an even score, leading the Sun Devils and sending him to tie for eighth place on the individual leaderboard.

The team finished in fourth place on the team leaderboard, four points behind the leader Oklahoma State University.

Day Two

Andersen was able to follow up his first-day performance with an even score on round two, bringing his total score to 2-over after two days.

Summerhays had a 4-over day, giving him a 6-over total after the round. Johnston continued his poor performance on day two, finishing 4-over, earning him a 9-over score total.

Sisk was able to get himself back under overall for the day, bringing his total to even for both days.

Puig had a stellar day, ending with a 4-under score, bringing him to a 4-under total. Puig propelled himself to be tied for the top spot on the individual leaderboard. He ended the round with six birdies.

ASU ended day two with a 4-over total, putting the team at second on the team leaderboard. The team's 1-under score was the second-lowest round after the end of the two days.

Day Three

On the final day of the Illini tournament, Johnston posted his best score of the weekend earning a 2-under for the day, but finished with an unsatisfactory 7-over total.

Andersen ended his weekend by adding a 3-over score to his total for the tournament. He finished with a 5-over total score. 

Summerhays finished his day with a lackluster 5-over. The freshman ended his second tournament with an 11-over total, 1-over his total at the last tournament.

Puig did not round out his weekend with a negative score, posting a 2-over for the day. He still received a 2-under score overall, earning him a No. 2 spot on the individual leaderboard, tied with Sisk and University of Alabama sophomore JP Cave

Sisk tied with Puig for the second spot by hitting a 2-under for the day, bringing his total to the 2-under overall. 

ASU stuck at the No. 2 spot on the team leaderboard, finishing just three points behind the first-place team University of North Carolina. The Sun Devils have now finished second and third place overall in their first two tournaments of the season.

The team will head to Dublin, Ohio, to compete in the Barbara Nicklaus Cup on Oct. 4-5. ASU will be competing amongst three other schools: Auburn University, Florida State University and Ohio State University. 

Reach the reporter at jspange1@asu.edu and follow @jspangenthal94 on Twitter.

Justin SpangenthalSports Reporter

Justin Spangenthal is a reporter for The State Press, currently covering Men's Golf and Track and Field. Justin transferred to ASU last January and is planning to graduate Fall '23. He is passionate about journalism and hopes to one day launch his own media outlet.

×