Senior Alexandra Försterling hopes to make the most of her last season at ASU

In her first three seasons as a Sun Devil, Försterling has gained international experience while putting in high performances for the women's golf team

KAM01360 (1).jpg

ASU now-senior golfer Alexandra Fosterling watches a drive at Papago Golf Club in Phoenix on Friday, March 26, 2021.

With a successful start to her senior season, Alexandra Försterling continues to be an anchor for ASU women's golf.

After finishing tied for 15th place at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate earlier this month, Försterling brought an impressive performance to this prestigious and competitive tournament, the first of the season for the Sun Devils.  

From a young age, Försterling had always been competing on the golf course. Growing up watching her parents play, she grew an interest in the sport. 

“I really have to thank my dad, he always tried to make me play in tournaments," Försterling said of her early memories of getting started as a more serious athlete. 

Försterling began to play more competitively locally throughout Germany, where she grew up, where she was eventually invited to be a part of the German National Team, the German affiliation of the International Golf Federation.

Upon joining the German National Team, Försterling said she remembers the moment she saw her future in golf. 

“At some point I was invited to the German National Team, and I knew I could actually be competitive at this,” Försterling said. 

She decided to come to play for the Sun Devils as a stepping stone in her goals of becoming a professional golfer. She had grown up playing tournaments in the U.S., making appearances at the Future Champions Golf World Championships. 

ASU became a natural fit for her. “I had this feeling in my gut, that’s where I need to be," she said. 

Her success in both Europe and North America has led her to be an integral part of the ASU women's golf team. She earned three top-10 finishes for the Sun Devils in the 2021 season and has only been getting better and better, with no sign of stopping anytime soon. 

After winning the title at the 2021 German Girls Amateur Title in June and finishing second overall in the 2021 European Ladies’ Amateur Championship in July, Försterling has shown a fierce glimpse into what will come for the rest of the 2021 season.  

“Lexi had a fantastic summer, she really played well,” head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said of Försterling. “I want her to build on that confidence and keep going, and she can beat the best players in the world."

With several other European players also finding their home on the ASU women's golf team, Försterling has found a home away from home with many familiar faces, including senior Alessandra Fanali from Italy and junior Amanda Linner from Sweden, who also played for their home countries’ federation affiliates. 

“I’ve been to almost every country in Europe with them,” Försterling said of her teammates. 

READ MORE: Alessandra Fanali looking to make most of fourth season on ASU women's golf

With a long season ahead, Försterling has accumulated a lot of great experience these past three years to help her round out her career as a Sun Devil. 

“I can’t believe they’re already seniors," associate head coach Michelle Estill said of both Fanali and Försterling. 

Försterling and the rest of the Sun Devils women’s golf team will be competing next at the Nicklaus Cup in Dublin, Ohio, on Oct. 4 and 5. 

Reach the reporter at rnbrown9@asu.edu.

Regan Brown

sports reporter

×