ASU reports COVID-19 cases break last week's record

Daily health checks were reinstated as University COVID-19 cases increased by over 300, reaching a new high since the start of the pandemic

20200826 Covid Testing Sites-2.jpg
ASU students wait to get COVID tested in the SDFC Maroon Gym on the Tempe Campus, in Tempe, Arizona on Wednesday, August 26, 2020.

Known positive COVID-19 cases at ASU rose to 2,345, an increase of 312 from last week, according to a University update Monday afternoon. Monday's case count breaks last week's record high of 2,033 known positive cases among students, faculty and staff.

Student cases rose to 2,089, an increase of 310 from last week's report. Faculty and staff cases rose to 256, an increase of two from last week's report.

Of the reported student COVID-19 cases, 42 are in isolation on the Tempe campus, and 13 are in isolation across the Downtown Phoenix, West and Polytechnic campuses.

Off-campus student cases were not directly included in the update as previously reported, but 2,034 of the students cases are off-campus. 

Other information like cumulative positive cases, randomized testing numbers, and details on how the University is operating its on-campus housing and in-person classrooms was still omitted from the update. 

Omissions were made to make online data updates simplified, according to University spokespeople.

There is no indication in the update or elsewhere that the University is moving away from in-person learning or having students live in residence halls.

According to the update, 19,689 tests were "administered within the ASU Community this week."

The University reinstated its daily health check requirement Monday. The health checks ask students and faculty to assess their symptoms before visiting campus. In an email last week, University administrators said students may lose access to various ASU systems if they do not comply.

On Monday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 12,066 new COVID-19 cases across Arizona and one death. The state reported a record high of nearly 25,000 positives on Saturday.

Last Wednesday, ASU announced it is offering a "limited quantity" of N95 masks to employees for no charge at ASU Employee Health or Sun Devil Campus Stores locations. It's unclear how many masks the University has on hand.

According to reporting from the New York Times, N95 masks are regulated by a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention called the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. The FDA describes N95 masks as a respirator with a close facial fit and "very efficient filtration of airborne particles."

Those who are interested should complete the N95 Respirator request form.

Clarification: The subheading of this story was modified Monday at 9:25 p.m. to clarify the increase in the number of cases. 

Reach the reporter at jkabiri@asu.edu and follow @jasminekabiri on Twitter.

Jasmine KabiriAssignment Editor

Jasmine Kabiri is the assignment editor at The State Press, overseeing and editing stories produced by the six digital desks. She has previously worked as a reporter at The Daily Camera and Cronkite News.

×