Olympic Sports Roundup: ASU golfer Ashley Menne finishes second at the Lamkin Invitational

This past week, Menne finished in second, lacrosse opened its season against University of Michigan and Northwestern University and wrestling competed in its final regular season meet

1741b0ae-b1ce-4eeb-8d3d-8095da73b9e0.sized-1000x1000.jpg

ASU senior golfer Alessandra Fanali watches her shot at the Superstition Mountain Golf & Country Club in Gold Canyon, Arizona on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021. 

This past week, ASU lacrosse opened up its 2022 season against University of Michigan and Northwestern University, wrestling competed in its final regular season meet and sophomore Ashley Menne took second at the Lamkin Invitational.

Lacrosse

ASU women’s lacrosse dropped its season opener at No. 11 Michigan by a close margin of 11-9 on Friday night. 

Two Sun Devils completed hat tricks on Friday, graduate student attacker Taylor Pinzone and senior attacker Katie Brodsky. Pinzone also scored the first goal of the 2022 season in her first game for ASU.

Graduate student attacker Carley Adams picked up where she left off last season, scoring two goals. Friday marked the eighth straight game Adams scored two or more goals and the 24th game with two or more goals in her career.

Freshman Katie Vahle made her debut in net and made nine saves, collecting two ground balls and causing one turnover. 

Junior midfielder Zoe Mazur had a successful first game as ASU’s main draw control specialist, collecting six draw controls. ASU kept up with Michigan in draw controls, only trailing 13-11. 

The Sun Devils held their own in the first game against a Top-25 team. The Sun Devils and Wolverines were tied at four going into the second half and again at six going into the fourth quarter.

ASU took on No. 5 Northwestern on Sunday morning, however, it didn't end well for ASU. The team lost 16-8, but graduate student Emily Glagolev, Brodsky and graduate student Maria Villanti all scored goals in the matchup. 

The Sun Devils were outplayed by the Wildcats in shots on goal, 23-17, but stayed close in terms of turnovers and shots. 

ASU lacrosse will take on San Diego State University in its home opener on Feb. 25 at 11:00 a.m. MST in Tempe. 

Wrestling 

The team ended its regular season and celebrated senior day as victors over Lehigh, 21-17, on Saturday afternoon in Tempe. 

Redshirt freshman Cohlton Schultz continued his undefeated season in the deciding heavyweight takedown of Lehigh Jordan Wood. Schultz and Wood went into overtime in their matchup, but neither could end it, forcing a second overtime and then sudden death. 

In addition, redshirt juniors Brandon Courtney, Michael McGee and Kordell Norfleet had landslide wins for the Sun Devils when they defeated their opponents by eight points each. All three athletes completed a major decision victory over their respective opponents. 

Moreover, the Saturday feats continued because it was head coach Zeke Jones’s first win against Lehigh since 2007. 

Although the day was bittersweet, as it was the last regular season match for the 2015 class consisting of Chad Porter, Marlee Smith, Alex Torres and Anthony Valencia, the work isn’t done yet as they prepare to host the Pac-12 Championships on March 6. 

Women’s golf 

No. 14 ASU Women’s golf finished third in a field of 14 teams at the Lamkin Invitational in San Diego, California earlier this week.

Battling darkness in the second round and rain in the final round, the Sun Devils beat out six of the eight other teams ranked in the latest Golfstat Top-25, beating No. 4 Oregon, No. 11 Texas, No. 18 Arizona, No. 13 UCLA, No. 23 Ole Miss and No. 22 Southern California. 

Sophomore Ashley Menne led the way with a remarkable performance, finishing second overall with two strokes under par, one of just three golfers to finish under par throughout the tournament. Menne finished with 14 birdies, the most by any golfer and an eagle on a par five on the ninth hole.

Senior Alexandra Forsterling and freshman Calynne Rosholt finished eight over par, good for a six-way tie for 16th place. ASU and Stanford are the only two teams with three top-25 individual finishes in the crowded 75-golfer field.

Senior Alessandra Fanali finished 12-over and freshman Grace Summerhays finished 18-over in her second event with the squad.

Menne and the Sun Devils look to continue its team success against 17 of the top teams around the country at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate, taking place Feb. 28 – March 2 in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Reach the reporters at atschmi2@asu.edu, rgarora@asu.edu and kfield4@asu.edu follow @RubyGiaArora, @Kathrynfield_ and @Schmitty9999 on Twitter.

Kathryn FieldSports Editor

Kathryn Field is a sports editor at The State Press. Kathryn has previously worked as a full time reporter at The State Press, covering women’s basketball and lacrosse.

Aaron SchmidtSports Reporter

Aaron Schmidt is a sports reporter who covers ASU Baseball and ASU Women’s Golf for The State Press. He previously covered Higley High School football for AZPreps365.

×