Positive COVID-19 cases within student body increase for the first time in nine weeks

Reported cases of the virus among students increased by nine while faculty and staff decreased by seven

Biodesign COVID Test

A COVID-19 saliva test tube is pictured on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 outside of State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona. The saliva test was developed by ASU Biodesign Institute and can return results within 48-72 hours.

There have been 33 known positive COVID-19 cases reported within the ASU community, according to the University update Monday evening. This is an increase of two cases from last week's report of 31 cases.

According to the update, ASU administered 1,784 tests this week, a decrease of 272 since last week's report of 2,056.

The number of known positive cases among faculty and staff is one, which is a decrease of seven compared to the last published update of eight cases. There are 32 known positive cases in the student body, an increase of nine compared to last week's 23 cases.

Among the 32 cases, two cases reside on either ASU's Downtown Phoenix, Polytechnic or West campuses. The other 30 cases reside in off-campus housing.

This is the first increase of known positive COVID-19 cases since mask-wearing and Daily Health Check participation became optional for all ASU campuses.

READ MORE: Masks, daily health check to no longer be required on ASU's campuses

Last Wednesday, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 4,566 new COVID-19 cases and 336 deaths across the state.

Reach the reporter at alrami13@asu.edu and follow @byandrearamirez on Twitter.

Andrea RamirezCommunity Reporter

Andrea Ramirez is a part-time reporter at The State Press. She has previously worked for The State Press for Spring ‘23. 

×