Positive COVID-19 cases at ASU continue to decrease after brief increase

Reported cases of the virus among students decreased by 15, while cases among faculty and staff increased by six

Vaccine Stock

Pharmacist Trevor Lawrence fills a syringe with a dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Wednesday, May 19, 2021.

In ASU's weekly COVID-19 update Tuesday morning, 25 known positive COVID-19 cases were reported within the ASU community in the previous week. This is a decrease of eight cases from last week's report of 33 cases.

According to University spokesperson Jay Thorne, a web issue caused the delay in the update, which is normally released Monday nights.

In a public records request obtained by The State Press, 45,641 ASU students have uploaded their vaccination information. Additionally, 25,631 employees, including student employees, provided proof of compliance, including religious and medical exemptions.

ASU administered 1,746 tests this week, a decrease of 38 since last week's report of 1,784.

The number of known positive cases among the student body reported Tuesday was 18, which is a decrease of 14 compared to the last published update of 32 cases. ASU reported seven known positive cases in faculty and staff, an increase of six from the previous update.

Among the 18 cases, no cases reside on campus. Instead, all 18 cases reside in off-campus housing.

On March 30, the Arizona Department of Health Services reported 10,143 new COVID-19 cases and 385 new deaths.

Reach the reporter at caera@asu.edu and follow @CaeraLearmonth on Twitter.

Caera Learmonth

Caera Learmonth is a full-time reporter for the Community and Culture desk. She was previously the Executive Editor of her high school newspaper and has taken journalism programs at the School of the New York Times and University of Southern California. 

×