What we know about the ASU bomb threats

Police are investigating two separate bomb threats, however, no items of concern were found, according to a spokesperson for ASU PD

Evacuated students wait at SDFC

Students gather inside the Sun Devil Fitness Complex in Tempe after evacuating their dorms on Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2022.

The ASU Police Department is investigating two separate bomb threats made on Monday at the Memorial Union and the Hassayampa Academic Village.

ASU PD, the Tempe Police Department and the Chandler Police Department cleared out the two locations early Tuesday morning with K-9 units. "No items of concern were discovered during the thorough investigation of the facilities," ASU PD spokesperson Adam Wolfe said in an email on Tuesday.

No arrests were made, but the incident remains under investigation, Wolfe said. 

Monday night, a message titled "bomb threat" was sent through the University's LiveSafe app. 

Police evacuated the MU, Hassayampa and the Barrett Residential Complex. The Barrett Complex was evacuated out of caution, Wolfe said. 

Between the Barrett and Hassayampa dorms, there are over 3,500 students, according to ASU spokesperson Gabriella Kemp.

At 12:48 a.m. on Tuesday, another Live Safe message determined the Memorial Union to be cleared and safe for activities to be resumed. By 1:03 a.m., students were allowed to return to their Hassayampa and Barrett dorms. 

The incident comes nearly seven months after an ASU student was arrested for having explosive materials in his dorm room. 

READ MORE: Student arrested after police find explosive materials in Palo Verde East

This story was updated at 8:54 p.m. on Sept. 13 to include the number of students living in the dorms that were evacuated. 

Reporter Analisa Valdez contributed to the reporting of this article. 

Edited by Wyatt Myskow, Grace Copperthite and Kristen Apolline Castillo.

Reach the reporter at jkabiri@asu.edu and follow @jasminekabiri on Twitter.

Jasmine KabiriAssignment Editor

Jasmine Kabiri is the assignment editor at The State Press, overseeing and editing stories produced by the six digital desks. She has previously worked as a reporter at The Daily Camera and Cronkite News.

×