ASU student found with explosives at PVE sentenced to 18 months probation

The student was charged with one count of solicitation of misconduct involving weapons and will do unsupervised probation

SP Breaking Graphic v6.png

Graphic published on Tuesday, March 3, 2020.

An ASU student was sentenced Friday to 18 months of unsupervised probation after explosive materials were found in his dorm room in February 2022. 

Logan Reynolds, who was studying chemistry, was initially charged with two counts of misconduct involving weapons, but in December, Reynolds pled guilty to one count of solicitation of misconduct involving weapons, a class six undesignated offense. Due to the plea agreement, the second count was dismissed. 

READ MORE: Student arrested after police find explosive materials in Palo Verde East

On Feb. 28, 2022, the ASU Police Department arrested Reynolds after another student reported that he may be building explosives. The fifth floor of Palo Verde East was evacuated and searched with Police K9s and the Tempe Police Department's Bomb Squad. 

According to court documents detailing the arrest, Reynolds told police he had no ill intent and made the devices for entertainment purposes only. When police arrived at the dorm, Reynolds "admitted he made the devices" and said where they were located. 

Reynolds is to forfeit all of the fireworks or explosive materials found in his Palo Verde East dorm room from the incident. If he does not complete his probation, Reynolds will be met with a class six felony instead of a misdemeanor. 

Following the incident, Reynolds was suspended from ASU for one year. He may return for Fall 2023. 

"We've all done things in our lives, one degree or another, that maybe weren't that smart. This qualifies as that, and you know that," said Judge David Palmer during the sentencing Friday morning. 

Edited by Piper Hansen.

Reach the reporter at jkabiri@asu.edu and follow @jasminekabiri on Twitter.

Jasmine KabiriAssignment Editor

Jasmine Kabiri is the assignment editor at The State Press, overseeing and editing stories produced by the six digital desks. She has previously worked as a reporter at The Daily Camera and Cronkite News.

×