BREAKING: ASU student injured in vehicle collision in Tempe

The student was struck near the Vista del Sol residential complex and was transported to the hospital with multiple injuries

eOi-sYhw.jpeg

Students and ASU police officers outside of a residential complex at the intersection of Paseo del Saber and Apache Boulevard on Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023.

An ASU student was taken to the hospital Sunday night after being struck by a vehicle at the Paseo del Saber and Apache Boulevard crosswalk. 

In an emailed statement, ASU Police Department spokesperson Adam Wolfe said the student "was crossing against the signal" when they were hit by the vehicle traveling eastbound on Apache Boulevard. The collision occurred at approximately 9:45 p.m. 

Wolfe said in the same statement that the student was "conscious, alert, and lucid" at the scene and was transported to the hospital with multiple injuries.

ASU PD and the Tempe Police Department were both present at the scene.

Multiple student witnesses reported hearing "a loud bang" and "screeching of (car) breaks" while at the Vista del Sol student housing complex on Apache Boulevard. 

Katie Garcia, a junior studying special education, witnessed the collision and said the injured student had attempted to cross the street at the last second prior to the light turning green. Garcia said she is a trained EMT and helped the injured student, who had a bleeding head wound, while waiting for first responders to arrive. 

“Me and my boyfriend we were the ones who were there with her. We put pressure on her head,” Garcia said. 

Garcia said they used a shirt taken off the back of a POD Market worker to apply pressure to the student's head wound.

“Everybody immediately stepped in … some people were stopping traffic. That’s what you want, (people) immediately calling 911," Garcia said. 

Editor's note: This is a developing story and may be updated.

Edited by Jasmine Kabiri, Shane Brennan and Angelina Steel.

Reach the reporter at syramir2@asu.edu and follow @nerdyoso on Twitter. 

×