ASU scores top innovation spot for the ninth year in a row

The University brought home the title with praise for business, education and STEM programs

Community-asu-wins-innovation-award.jpg

ASU was awarded No. 1 in innovation by the U.S. News & World Report for the ninth year in a row.

ASU was awarded No. 1 in innovation by the U.S. News & World Report Monday in its annual "Most Innovative Schools" rankings for 2024 – outranking MIT and Stanford at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively. 

The accolade and strategic catchphrase has been advertised around the University on posters, banners and shuttles for years. Every September, students and cultural commentators of ASU take the opportunity to joke about the never-ending reign of the innovation throne. 

U.S. & World Report asked "top academics – university presidents, provosts and deans – participating in a peer assessment survey to name the institutions they think are the most innovative schools for the 2024 Best Colleges rankings," according to its website. The innovation is judged in the areas of technology, curriculum and "other areas."

The University has taken the top rank in the category since the category was created nine years ago by the U.S. News & World Report.

"ASU's innovation mindset attracts creative and dynamic minds who tackle society's biggest challenges — from ending health disparities to ensuring a habitable planet to advancing our national security — in ways both inventive and effective," University President Michael Crow told ASU News.

Since Michael Crow and his vision for a New American University arrived in 2002, the perception of ASU has shifted from party school to a model institution in the world of higher education – sometimes seriously, but mostly jokingly referred to as the "Harvard of the Southwest."

In the Crow-era, U.S. News & World Report has continued to move ASU up its "Best National University" rankings over time, this year awarding it with the No. 105 spot — leapfrogging the University of Arizona in the process. 

"My thanks to our ASU community and all those who work with us to continue advancing our commitment to access, excellence and impact," read a tweet from Crow's X account about the innovation ranking. "You are the best."

READ MORE: No. 1 in innovation: How Crow has kept ASU's eight-year streak going

University projects like the launch of a medical school, large investments into science research and technology manufacturing marked major milestones for ASU in the last year.

ASU also received high marks from U.S. News & World Report in specific subject areas:

READ MORE: ASU to open medical school as part of effort to address state's medical staff shortage

"Bolstered by collaboration across disciplines and sectors, we are perpetually inspired to demonstrate how optimism and ingenuity can yield better outcomes for all," Crow told ASU News.

Edited by Alysa Horton, Alexis Waiss and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at greygartin@gmail.com and follow @greygartin on X.

×