ARTS EVENT ROUNDUP: OCT. 2 TO OCT. 8

As the valley starts to cool down and welcome fall in, check out these arts events in and around campus

the-echo-echo-arts-roundup-kubasko-102-1.jpg

The Echo made a list of the spookiest of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

With fall break on the horizon after a busy midterm week, give your brain a much-needed rest from all the academic stress and check out some arts events on and around campus!

Visual Arts

Laser Cutting Basics

Visit the Hayden Library’s third-floor makerspace on Wednesday, Oct. 4, at 12:00 p.m. to learn about the basics of laser cutting. Organized by the Fulton Schools of Engineering, this free event will provide resources for each student’s laser cutting. Attendants will go home with their own wooden laser-cut design!

THE DIAL

This is the final week to visit this unique immersive narrative experience! Using a combination of augmented reality and projection mapping, THE DIAL invites its audience to explore a mysterious car accident into a family home. This free installation is in the ASU MIX Center from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 4, and from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 5.

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

ASU Hispanic Research Center Art Exhibit, Interdisciplinary Building, A Wing, 2nd Floor until Oct. 15

Delia Robles Art Exhibit, Noble Library until Oct. 20

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic Campus Library until Nov. 12.

Seral Bodies, Northlight Galleries at Grant Street Studios until Nov. 4

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

'Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms' Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15

When Trees Dream, Harry Wood Gallery Building, until Oct. 12

Performing Arts

Doctoral Student Recital

Visit the Katzin Concert Hall after 5:00 p.m. throughout the week to enjoy the music of ASU’s doctoral students. This week features Muyuan Liu, Shauna Bierly and Hyeongji Choi on the piano and Isabella Kolasinski on the horn. All performances are free but subject to cancellation.

Urban Nocturnes presents works for Flute, Violin, Viola & Piano

Urban Nocturnes, a classical music group of six Arizona musicians, arrive at Katzin Concert Hall on Wednesday, Oct. 4, for a free classical music performance. This event will run from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. and is hosted by the ASU School of Music, Dance, and Theatre.

ASU Latin Jazz Band and Jazz Combos

See the collaboration between the ASU Latin Jazz Band and Jazz Combos in the Evelyn Smith Music Theatre on Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 7:30 p.m. This event is free and open to the public. 

ASU Maroon and Gold Band \ Philharmonia: Colorful Sound

For the first time, the ASU Maroon and Gold Band and the ASU Philharmonia will join forces for a performance at the Tempe Center for the Arts. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 3. Ticket prices range from $5 to $15. 

ASU Big Band Blastoff!

ASU Big Bands come together to celebrate historical band music. This performance of vintage selections will take place in the Katzin Concert Hall at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 3. Tickets are free.

Tuesday Morning Music and Tea Presents

Enjoy flute performances from Elizabeth Buck and Magda Schwerzmann starting at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 3, at the Kerr Cultural Center, with an hour of provided refreshments before the show begins. Tickets are free, but RSVP with the box office. Guests are also encouraged to bring a $5 donation, canned food or a sealed personal item for the Vista del Camino Food Bank.

Undergraduate Student Recital

Olivia Bolles performs on the violin this Monday, Oct. 2, at 7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. Undergraduate student recitals are free but subject to cancellation.

Rhythm-based Music & Inventive Meter

Visit the Music Library Conference Room to learn how to control time musically through rhythmic palettes with the Society of Composers Inc., at ASU! This event begins at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 6. Attendance is free, but an RSVP is needed to participate.

Markets

The Chic x USM Vintage Market 

Hosted by The Chic and the University Street Market, this sustainable vintage market will put local vendors across the street from the downtown campus in Civic Space Park. Be there at 9:00 a.m. sharp on Friday, Oct. 6, for the best selection.

2nd Sundays on Mill 

Downtown Tempe is hosting its own monthly market event with 2nd Sundays on Mill. The first event of the season will take place this Sunday, Oct. 8, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. With food, shopping, and live entertainment, this street market will make for a lively morning on Mill Avenue.

First Fridays

This week marks the start of October, so it’s time for yet another First Friday! Watch all of Downtown Phoenix explode with art and culture starting at 5:00 p.m. this Friday, Oct. 6. Explore the many shops and stands this incredible event offers. Students can reach downtown via the ASU shuttle or use metered street parking.

Edited by Shane Brennan, Walker Smith, Angelina Steel.

Reach the reporter at cvandore@asu.edu and follow @cvandoren27 on X.

Claire van DorenThe Echo Editor

Claire van Doren is the Echo desk editor, using her English Literature and Journalism majors to bring insightful, thought-provoking pieces to The State Press. She has a deep love of storytelling that extends to articles, television, podcasts, and novels. 

×