Jevin Hodge appointed new representative for Legislative District 8

Hodge will represent parts of southern Maricopa County including Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale and the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community

Politics-jevin-hodge-ld8-appointed.jpg

People walk past the Arizona State Capitol in Phoenix on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019.

Jevin Hodge will take over the empty Legislative District 8 seat in the Arizona House of Representatives after a decision made by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors on Jan. 31. 

Hodge will represent parts of southern Maricopa County, including Phoenix and Tempe. He will hold the seat until the end of the calendar year with the position on the ballot for the General Election on Nov. 5. 

"I was impressed by (Hodge's) commitment to bettering his community, in particular Tempe where he grew up," said Chairman Jack Sellers in a press release. "I believe his experience and his passion for his community make him an ideal candidate to represent Legislative District 8."

In 2020, both Sellers and Hodge ran for the District 1 Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, with Sellers winning by just over 400 votes.

Hodge was selected by the Board out of three candidates put forward by the LD-8 precinct committeemen. Hodge is filling a vacant seat that was previously held by Democrat Athena Salman, who stepped down to focus on protecting abortion rights in Arizona.

READ MORE: Rep. Athena Salman announces resignation from Tempe seat

"Jevin Hodge has proven himself to be an independent thinker and business advocate who puts community wellbeing ahead of politics," said Vice Chairman Thomas Galvin in a press release. "I appreciated his thoughtful answers to my questionnaire, and I believe he will be a voice of reason and a potential consensus builder at the state capitol."

Tempe City Council member Berdetta Hodge, Jevin's mother, said she believes her son will be able to work with everyone in the Legislature, regardless of party.

"As the mother of newly appointed Jevin Hodge, I am extremely proud and honored to call him my son," Berdetta Hodge said in an emailed statement. "I believe Jevin has (the) ability to work across the aisle to get things done for the state of Arizona."

Edited by Grey Gartin, Sadie Buggle and Shane Brennan

Reach the reporter at alysa.horton@gmail.com and follow @alysa_horton on X.

×