Meet the unopposed ticket for USG Polytechnic 2024-25 executive office

Next year's USGP leadership will include Shaurya Manglik, Ian Huerta-Ramirez and Hillery Gowda

Politics-usg-election-profile-poly.png

Elections will be held March 26-27 online across ASU's campuses. Results will be released on April 1.

On the Polytechnic campus, for a second year in a row, the executive ticket is running unopposed. Undergraduate Student Government Polytechnic candidates for president, vice president of service and vice president of policy are therefore set for the 2024-25 academic year.

Shaurya Manglik will serve as USGP president, Ian Huerta-Ramirez will serve as vice president of policy and Hillery Gowda will serve as vice president of service.

Voting for this year's USG election will begin on Tuesday, March 26 and end on Wednesday, March 27. 

Located next to the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, the Polytechnic campus hosts a range of majors, most of which are in STEM. 

Heading up the ticket is incumbent USGP President Manglik, a sophomore studying engineering. He said he is one of the youngest of the USG presidents and the first international student to hold the position. 

"I am an international student, so I wasn't 100% aware of how things work in the U.S., how things work at ASU," Manglik said. "I saw an opportunity in the student government and tried to make the best out of this campus and promote the unique identity that (Polytechnic) is."

Gowda will be the next USGP vice president of service. The sophomore studying aeronautical management technology said she takes pride in the Polytechnic community.

"The amount of impact that it (has) on students and the amount of students that showed up, that's something that I would like to continue," Gowda said.

Gowda said that the events planned by USGP have a massive impact on students, who have been showing up to activities more and more — something she would like to continue into next year.

READ MORE: USG senators attempt to reform election code weeks into election process

One of the main pillars of the ticket is expanding campus identity and culture.

With about 6,000 students as of fall 2023, Polytechnic is the second-smallest campus at ASU. However, there are many events held on campus that celebrate a range of cultures and identities. The next Vice President of Policy Huerta-Ramirez, a sophomore studying engineering, said he enjoys working with other cultures in USGP.

Huerta-Ramirez said the Polytechnic Campus is uniquely diverse, which contributes to what makes the sometimes overlooked campus special. 

"All of us working together to make a big impact on Poly is definitely one of the most rewarding things that we do," he said, speaking to the ticket's desire to move away from "dead campus" status.

This USGP executive ticket platform is summarized in three words: empower, elevate and expand. 

The empowerment pillar will be implemented through engagement. The ticket hopes to "foster a vibrant and inclusive campus culture where every student feels empowered to voice their opinions, ideas and concerns," according to the ticket's platform.

The Manglik ticket also wants to elevate the campus experience with amplified resources, services and opportunities. The last pillar includes expanding Polytechnic's identity.

The team of leaders, who said they are proud of their campus, will stay committed to their campaign.

"With a wealth of experience, we aim to redefine and amplify the Polytechnic experience for every student, fostering a community where innovation, inclusion and excellence thrive," according to the ticket's platform.

The results of the election will be released by ASASU on Monday, April 1. It will also include the winners of each college-based senate seat, judges and election commissioners for each campus.

Edited by Grey Gartin, Alysa Horton and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at elbradfo@asu.edu and follow @emmalbradford__ on X.

×