Deborah Nardozzi appointed new representative for Legislative District 8

Nardozzi will fill the position left open by Jevin Hodge, who resigned after reports from 2015 surfaced saying he violated sexual violence and misconduct policies

Politics-new-tempe-legislator-LD8.jpg

People walk past the Arizona State Capitol on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019 in Phoenix.

Deborah Nardozzi was appointed by the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors on April 3 to fill the empty Legislative District 8 seat in the Arizona House of Representatives.

The seat was left empty after previous representative Jevin Hodge resigned amid the surfacing of 2015 reports that said he was found in violation of sexual violence and sexual misconduct policies during his time at George Washington University. Hodge denied the allegations in the reports.

READ MORE: Jevin Hodge resigns from Arizona House of Representatives

Nardozzi will represent a southeastern portion of Maricopa County that includes Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale and Tempe. The position is on the ballot in November's general election. Nardozzi will serve the remainder of the term through Dec. 31.

Board members chose Nardozzi out of three Democratic candidates brought forward by the LD-8 precinct committeemen.

"Arizona law requires us to appoint a person from the same political party as the person who previously vacated the office. We did so today," said Vice Chairman Thomas Galvin in a press release. "I wish Deborah Nardozzi well in her endeavor to represent Legislative District 8 at the State Capitol."

Nardozzi previously worked as a campaign advisor and manager and served as the Chair for Legislative District 24 from September 2020 to January 2022. She has owned a political consulting agency for 15 years. Before launching the agency, she was an executive assistant at a Washington, D.C.-based law firm.

Editor's Note: This story is developing and will be updated as new information becomes available.

Edited by Grey Gartin, Shane Brennan and Angelina Steel. 

Reach the reporter at sabuggle@asu.edu and follow @sadie_buggle on Twitter. 

Sadie BuggleOpinion Editor

Sadie Buggle is the Editor of the State Press Opinion Desk. This is her third semester working for the State Press after two semesters reporting for the Community and Culture Desk.

×