ASU football runs over New Mexico

The Sun Devils offense found a groove in an important win

With all of its high expectations nearly gone after two disappointing performances, the ASU football team hoped to build up some equity with its fan base in its final "tune-up" game of the season in front of the home crowd.

The Sun Devils (2-1) did just that Friday, pulling away from the New Mexico Lobos late en route to a 34-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium to end non-conference play. The offense had its most complete game of the season, netting 449 yards and not turning the ball over once.

ASU struggled through the first quarter, hearing boos from the Sun Devil Stadium crowd after going the first 14 minutes of the game without picking up a first down and gaining just 56 yards in the quarter.

The ASU offense continued to be inconsistent in the second quarter. The Sun Devils traveled 74 yards on 17 plays across the first two quarters and had first and goal inches away from the goal line, but could only muster a field goal, prompting mixed reactions from the crowd.

With nerves around Sun Devil Stadium high, the Lobos took their next possession all the way to the ASU 18-yard line, but missed a short field goal that could have given some much-needed momentum back to the visitor's sideline.

The next ASU drive, and the last one before halftime, gave the Sun Devils an edge heading into the locker rooms, as Bercovici led an impressive eight-play, 80 yard drive, which ended with a touchdown to redshirt junior wide receiver Tim White to put ASU up 10.

With the Sun Devils comfortably ahead, the offense added a new dimension that its missed since Taylor Kelly's injury in week three last season: a consistent running quarterback threat.

Bercovici ran the ball four times in the second half for 26 yards and a touchdown, adding a new dimension to the offense and opening up space for other things to happen. Bercovici said that he enjoys being a guy that can run the ball and provide his offense with a spark.

"I love (running the ball)," Bercovici said. "That's what it takes to run this offense. Whether it's five yards or 50 yards, it doesn't matter. Being a threat to run is something that's huge in this offense and when you have great running backs like (sophomore Demario Richard) and a great offensive line, we just take what the defense gives us and move on to the next play."

Richard said he's been encouraging his quarterback to take off and it worked for him today.

"I've been telling Berc all year, 'use your feet, brotha, please," Richard said.

The shiftiness of Bercovici benefited Richard tremendously, as the back had the best game of his young career.

Richard ran the ball 15 times for 104 yards, but  did most of his damage catching passes. On just four catches, Richard gained 151 yards, setting the ASU record for receiving yards by a running back. The biggest play through the air went for 93 yards on third-and-10 from ASU's own 7-yard line, scoring the touchdown that put the game on ice early in the fourth quarter.

Overall, despite a lot of negative attention from outside the program, Graham said he feels comfortable with where his team in preparation-wise and looks forward to starting conference play in just over a week.

"I feel good about where we're at," Graham said. "I guarantee you our guys are going to come play next week. Obviously it starts Pac-12, it's what we work for."

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×